Memory Issue

Hi Everyone,

My computer has been driving me nuts all week since I upgraded my motherboard (Asus P5Q Pro Turbo) and video card (Gigabyte 4850). I have been getting blue screens at least twice a day since. The first issue I noticed was during the Win 7 install where it would blue screen during the install. I figured out it was the motherboards auto setting the RAM timing and voltages to low, so I adjusted them manually and everything seemed fine. Win 7 installed fine and all was good till the following blue screen the next day.

Anyway I have 4 gigs of Kingston KHX8500D2K2/2GNR installed, I ran Memtest86+ and got 137 errors on test 5 so I decided to test each stick individually and all but 1 stick passed, then I tested a good stick in the rest of the slots 1 by 1 and got no errors, I even tested the 3 goods sticks together with no errors. But the strange thing was when I tested just 2 good sticks in the two yellow slots (A1 & B1) I got 35 errors on test 5 again. But when I moved those sticks to the first 2 slots (A1 & A2) i got no errors. So I guess my question is why would that happen?
8 answers Last reply
More about memory issue
  1. Did you set the memory timings and voltage as per the specs for your modules? Do they at least work at 800MHz, 2.0V and 5-5-5-15 timings?
  2. yup, i manually set them to 1066MHz, 2.2V and 5-5-5-15 timings, which seems to be the sweet spot. I've also tried different variations of this, but received blue screens almost immediately after leaving the BIOS.
  3. Do they work when not overclocked, i.e., 800MHz?
  4. no, i've tried 800MHz, lower and higher. only 1066MHz works.
  5. You wrote "But when I moved those sticks to the first 2 slots (A1 & A2) i got no errors." Is your system stable when running with that configuration?

I presume that you already had those modules before buying the motherboard since they are SLI-Ready (NVidia chipset systems). Could you get modules that are known to work well with the P5Q like G.Skill PI Black 800MHz?
  6. Yup, that configuration is running great so far (knock on wood). Yeah I've had this RAM since 2007 and its been great till now. I would get new modules only if its absolutely necessary, but would probably get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
  7. I used to teach science lab and an enhanced gifted and talented program. I am fascinated by research into the brain. And so, I currently put "best brain practices" to use on students much like your daughter. I have a very high success rate. Here is the paper that I send my parents. (I tried to e-mail this to you, but you're blocked...sorry that it is rather long). You may e-mail me if you like.
    ===================
    Tummy Tuck
    test paternite
  8. kevin94z said:
    Yup, that configuration is running great so far (knock on wood). Yeah I've had this RAM since 2007 and its been great till now. I would get new modules only if its absolutely necessary, but would probably get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
    They're the same, but more voltage is required because they're overclocked. I prefer the 800MHz version that I know works well when using 4 modules at 1.9V and 4-4-4-12 timings (which is what I use on my P5Q Deluxe and a couple other P45 motherboards).
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Motherboards Product