2500K cannot stabalize 4.5ghz?

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
This is my first time overclocking so I have no clue what I am doing. I was trying to OC to 4.5ghz @ 1.35v but Prime95 would not give me an hour of stability. So last night I dialed it back to 4.4ghz @ 1.35v and Prime95 ran stable for 9hrs.

Is the CPU getting too hot? I am running a hyper 212+ with push/pull fans. I was under the impression my temps would be around 60 degrees, but they hit 72 on the forth core?

I have the voltage set @ 1.35v yet it never hit 1.35v. Is this why I cannot get a stable 4.5ghz OC?

Settings:

Multiplier 44
vcore 1.35
LLC 3
C1E disabled
virtualization disabled

zoi048.png

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I set the LLC to 5 and got instant BSOD. vcore ranged from 1.26-not sure because of the BSOD. I set the LLC to 1 and now my vcore range is 1.33-1.37, I think i may bump this down to 2 and drop my vcore to 1.33.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Actually been holding a 4.5 clock for 2 hours now. It seems that adjusting the LLC to 2 did the trick. I am still not running at the 1.34v I set it to (running 1.30v - 1.33v) but so far so good. I am going to take a break do some gaming and what not to look at the stats, and if everything still looks good gonna let Prime95 run during the night and while I am at work. If it makes it 16+ hours ill be thrilled. Temps also seem to be improving, Core3 hit 73 at some point, but everything now is 63/68/68/66.

Edit: How did you take screenshots of your bios???

20071jr.png

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah I saw that. The guide I looked at said to turn off:

1 Set overclock tuner, sometimes called differently, to manual.

2 Set max turbo ratio to 45. Enter your ram section. Enter the timings (your ram timings for the ram you bought. ie, 7 7 7 24 or 9 9 9 28 etc) . Leave the rest of the 'sub timings' on 'auto' Leave the RAM speed at AUTO unless it is miss reading (ie you have 1600 reading as 1333). In that case enter the correct number (ie 1600)

3 Go to the voltage section. Set CPU and RAM to manual. Leave the rest of the voltages AUTO. The RAM should be set to the 'sticker voltage', ie, 1.5v. The CPU, set to 1.35V

4 Find Load Line Calibration, or LLC. Set it to 50%. If it is in levels, 5/10 or 3/5.

5 Go to CPU features turn off C5 C1 and EIST / Speedstep . Some CPUs/boards will still hold this OC with speedstep left on. I suggest you turn it off for now. Also turn off any power saving features. You may also disable virtualization if you will never use it. Note that, SOME CPUS may require CPU PLL overvoltage to be turned on to hit 4.5Ghz. It is unlikely.

6 (optional) Go to onboard devices and shut off anything you arent using (USB3/Firewire controllers, extra LAN controllers, Extra SATA controllers)

Please note:
*Less than 5% of CPUs according to a published test by Asus will need more than 1.35V or refuse 4.5Ghz altogether. 80% need LESS than 1.35.

What all this means I have no clue. I dont even have C1/C5/EIST. I assumed they were some kind of power saving feature. Any insight as to what there actually for would be great.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
No it uses the turbo boost to OC. I was under the impression all Intel chips used Turbo to OC. When my system idles it sits at 1.6ghz religiously. I turn off windows power saving features because I built this desktop to have something running 24/7. Idle temps are off the top of my head...27-30 degrees.

There are more aggressive ways to overclock your 2500K to 4.5ghz, that's why the guides were written to get you 100% rock solid.

So when you've had enough wading in the baby pool try jumping in the deep end of the pool.

You should be able to run 4.5ghz at 1.325v using the guide, and you'll be overclocking all the cores to that clock, with fixed voltage and no throttling, and most report lower OP/SYS temps, and your Hyper 212+ will keep you cool enough at 4.5ghz, if you follow the guide.

I don't suggest you attempt going beyond 4.5ghz with your air cooler, you do need to keep it as cool as you can.

10+ hours of Prime 95 what? small ffts, large ffts, blend test?

It takes more than Prime 95 to establish stability, simply because prime 95 doesn't test your graphics and sound added to the equation, you also need some benchmarking and gaming added to your testing.

It's amazing how many claim Prime 95 stability one day, "My machine is Prime 95 stable for 24 hours!", and the next day, "My machine crashes 10 minutes into my favorite game???", happens all the time.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Baby steps dude...baby steps...

I do not want to attempt over 4.5ghz, and looks like my voltage was running 1.32. First step = Prime95 blend test. Now that it is stable with Prime I can move on. Prime95 sucks for memory testing, and yes does not test graphics. If you would have read the entire post you might know a little of whats going on. If you wish to post somewhere else go for it, dont bring your b/s god complex here. Since I do not recall wanting help with some sort of inferiority complex.

To everyone else, thank you for your help in getting me over this hill:

5vb1uu.png

If you wish to post somewhere else go for it, dont bring your b/s god complex here. Since I do not recall wanting help with some sort of inferiority complex.

Well every man has to know his limitations! Good Luck!

And I believe your thread title was;
2500K cannot stabalize 4.5ghz?

By the way did read the whole thread and regarding your last pic, 76c is too high for longevity, you'll be better off below 68c if you can, but it's your hardware. Goodbye!

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Unfortunately no, it is 1333. I figured since most of what I read said to set memory to 1333 until the core is stable I would use some RAM I currently had. Once the CPU is where I would like it to be I plan on getting 16 or 32 gigs of 1600 instead of the 8 gig 1333.

I would like to get my temps a bit under control. I have a feeling I can lower my voltage another .1 maybe a tad more if I am lucky. These shots were taken with the computer in the bedroom with the door closed to keep the dog out. The A/C doesn't do to well with closed doors and the room was warmer than normal because of that and the computer running, so the 76 spike we are seeing isnt that bad, but could be a little better.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
no problem.
it was actually quite fun to see your progress..

So I started backing down the voltage, and am down to 1.28-1.31 with it set in the bios as 1.33. Temps are all below 66c with a 2 hour Prime, so I am definately going in the right direction. Two things I was wondering though:

My core speed is either 1600.x or 4500.x, It is NEVER in the middle. Is that something...normal? I would figure the multiplier ranges would vary from 16-45, not one or the other.

And,

I am currently using fixed voltage. Would it be wise to change to offset? If so, what is the base offset? (1.3?) and what would 1.33 fixed = in an offset?

I am going to burn Prime for another 16 some hours to make sure it can hold the 1.33v that it is set to now. I don't think I would be surprised if I was able to go at least .1 lower.

My guide I originally posted to you will definitely help you, I apologize for coming across like I did, it was not aimed at you, but after re-reading it, I totally see why you took it that way.

The settings in the guide will allow you to run the 4500.x all the time on all 4 cores and never drop down to 1600.x.

I would suggest at least trying it, if you don't like the results go back to what you're running now.

Once again, My Apologies! Ryan