Your question

2500K cannot stabalize 4.5ghz?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
June 24, 2012 2:50:23 PM

This is my first time overclocking so I have no clue what I am doing. I was trying to OC to 4.5ghz @ 1.35v but Prime95 would not give me an hour of stability. So last night I dialed it back to 4.4ghz @ 1.35v and Prime95 ran stable for 9hrs.

Is the CPU getting too hot? I am running a hyper 212+ with push/pull fans. I was under the impression my temps would be around 60 degrees, but they hit 72 on the forth core?

I have the voltage set @ 1.35v yet it never hit 1.35v. Is this why I cannot get a stable 4.5ghz OC?

Settings:

Multiplier 44
vcore 1.35
LLC 3
C1E disabled
virtualization disabled

More about : 2500k stabalize 5ghz

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
June 24, 2012 3:37:24 PM

Raise the LLC level some. That should keep the voltage from dropping so much.
m
l
June 24, 2012 5:12:02 PM

LLC was 5, so would 'up' be 4 or 2?

Are the temps something I should be worried about?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
June 24, 2012 5:16:36 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
LLC was 5, so would 'up' be 4 or 2?

Are the temps something I should be worried about?

Well, I was going off of you saying that it was set at 3. 5 would be what you should go with, since it's the highest.

And your temps are fine.
m
l
June 24, 2012 7:37:41 PM

I dont believe I have an option to turn Vdroop off, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
m
l
June 24, 2012 9:15:34 PM

I set the LLC to 5 and got instant BSOD. vcore ranged from 1.26-not sure because of the BSOD. I set the LLC to 1 and now my vcore range is 1.33-1.37, I think i may bump this down to 2 and drop my vcore to 1.33.
m
l
June 24, 2012 11:39:26 PM

Actually been holding a 4.5 clock for 2 hours now. It seems that adjusting the LLC to 2 did the trick. I am still not running at the 1.34v I set it to (running 1.30v - 1.33v) but so far so good. I am going to take a break do some gaming and what not to look at the stats, and if everything still looks good gonna let Prime95 run during the night and while I am at work. If it makes it 16+ hours ill be thrilled. Temps also seem to be improving, Core3 hit 73 at some point, but everything now is 63/68/68/66.

Edit: How did you take screenshots of your bios???

m
l
June 24, 2012 11:50:45 PM

Yeah I saw that. The guide I looked at said to turn off:

Quote:
1 Set overclock tuner, sometimes called differently, to manual.

2 Set max turbo ratio to 45. Enter your ram section. Enter the timings (your ram timings for the ram you bought. ie, 7 7 7 24 or 9 9 9 28 etc) . Leave the rest of the 'sub timings' on 'auto' Leave the RAM speed at AUTO unless it is miss reading (ie you have 1600 reading as 1333). In that case enter the correct number (ie 1600)

3 Go to the voltage section. Set CPU and RAM to manual. Leave the rest of the voltages AUTO. The RAM should be set to the 'sticker voltage', ie, 1.5v. The CPU, set to 1.35V

4 Find Load Line Calibration, or LLC. Set it to 50%. If it is in levels, 5/10 or 3/5.

5 Go to CPU features turn off C5 C1 and EIST / Speedstep . Some CPUs/boards will still hold this OC with speedstep left on. I suggest you turn it off for now. Also turn off any power saving features. You may also disable virtualization if you will never use it. Note that, SOME CPUS may require CPU PLL overvoltage to be turned on to hit 4.5Ghz. It is unlikely.

6 (optional) Go to onboard devices and shut off anything you arent using (USB3/Firewire controllers, extra LAN controllers, Extra SATA controllers)

Please note:
*Less than 5% of CPUs according to a published test by Asus will need more than 1.35V or refuse 4.5Ghz altogether. 80% need LESS than 1.35.

What all this means I have no clue. I dont even have C1/C5/EIST. I assumed they were some kind of power saving feature. Any insight as to what there actually for would be great.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:04:11 AM

No it uses the turbo boost to OC. I was under the impression all Intel chips used Turbo to OC. When my system idles it sits at 1.6ghz religiously. I turn off windows power saving features because I built this desktop to have something running 24/7. Idle temps are off the top of my head...27-30 degrees.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:13:05 AM

Is that better? More risky?
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 25, 2012 11:20:48 AM

Overclocking 101

ATCOTBLTB! :) 
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 25, 2012 12:25:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not blind to overclocking 4Ryan6....
you must not know that this is 'malmental' giving advice.
just because I do not run water around the house doesn't mean I can't clock.

;) 

ROFLMAO :lol: 

Actually, Mal, I'll have to get back to you after I compose myself! :lol: 

Ry
m
l
June 25, 2012 4:03:50 PM

Not sure what thats all about...I am stable @ 4.5ghz for 10+ hours though. Still letting it run 8-10 hours more while I am at work, and will post results.
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 25, 2012 9:34:07 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Not sure what thats all about...I am stable @ 4.5ghz for 10+ hours though. Still letting it run 8-10 hours more while I am at work, and will post results.

There are more aggressive ways to overclock your 2500K to 4.5ghz, that's why the guides were written to get you 100% rock solid.

So when you've had enough wading in the baby pool try jumping in the deep end of the pool.

You should be able to run 4.5ghz at 1.325v using the guide, and you'll be overclocking all the cores to that clock, with fixed voltage and no throttling, and most report lower OP/SYS temps, and your Hyper 212+ will keep you cool enough at 4.5ghz, if you follow the guide.

I don't suggest you attempt going beyond 4.5ghz with your air cooler, you do need to keep it as cool as you can.

10+ hours of Prime 95 what? small ffts, large ffts, blend test?

It takes more than Prime 95 to establish stability, simply because prime 95 doesn't test your graphics and sound added to the equation, you also need some benchmarking and gaming added to your testing.

It's amazing how many claim Prime 95 stability one day, "My machine is Prime 95 stable for 24 hours!", and the next day, "My machine crashes 10 minutes into my favorite game???", happens all the time.
m
l
June 25, 2012 9:53:14 PM

Baby steps dude...baby steps...

I do not want to attempt over 4.5ghz, and looks like my voltage was running 1.32. First step = Prime95 blend test. Now that it is stable with Prime I can move on. Prime95 sucks for memory testing, and yes does not test graphics. If you would have read the entire post you might know a little of whats going on. If you wish to post somewhere else go for it, dont bring your b/s god complex here. Since I do not recall wanting help with some sort of inferiority complex.

To everyone else, thank you for your help in getting me over this hill:

m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 25, 2012 9:55:39 PM

Quote:
If you wish to post somewhere else go for it, dont bring your b/s god complex here. Since I do not recall wanting help with some sort of inferiority complex.

Well every man has to know his limitations! Good Luck!

And I believe your thread title was;
Quote:
2500K cannot stabalize 4.5ghz?

By the way did read the whole thread and regarding your last pic, 76c is too high for longevity, you'll be better off below 68c if you can, but it's your hardware. Goodbye!
m
l
June 26, 2012 1:35:58 PM

Best answer selected by DarkOutlaw.
m
l
June 26, 2012 2:48:55 PM

Unfortunately no, it is 1333. I figured since most of what I read said to set memory to 1333 until the core is stable I would use some RAM I currently had. Once the CPU is where I would like it to be I plan on getting 16 or 32 gigs of 1600 instead of the 8 gig 1333.

I would like to get my temps a bit under control. I have a feeling I can lower my voltage another .1 maybe a tad more if I am lucky. These shots were taken with the computer in the bedroom with the door closed to keep the dog out. The A/C doesn't do to well with closed doors and the room was warmer than normal because of that and the computer running, so the 76 spike we are seeing isnt that bad, but could be a little better.
m
l
June 26, 2012 3:25:21 PM

Should I go for 1600 or 1866? They are both priced the same, and my mobo says it supports 1866(OC). Not sure what that means exactly in terms of we can buy 1866 ram now, or is that just ram that comes over clocked like some graphics cards? Both seem to run @ 1.5v

Mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 26, 2012 8:28:10 PM

They look the same aside from the CL. Wouldnt CL7 be faster than the CL8? I dont understand, 9-9-9-24 seems like its on the slower end of the spectrum.
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:11:11 AM

Quote:
no problem.
it was actually quite fun to see your progress..

So I started backing down the voltage, and am down to 1.28-1.31 with it set in the bios as 1.33. Temps are all below 66c with a 2 hour Prime, so I am definately going in the right direction. Two things I was wondering though:

My core speed is either 1600.x or 4500.x, It is NEVER in the middle. Is that something...normal? I would figure the multiplier ranges would vary from 16-45, not one or the other.

And,

I am currently using fixed voltage. Would it be wise to change to offset? If so, what is the base offset? (1.3?) and what would 1.33 fixed = in an offset?

I am going to burn Prime for another 16 some hours to make sure it can hold the 1.33v that it is set to now. I don't think I would be surprised if I was able to go at least .1 lower.
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 27, 2012 11:34:43 AM

@urban legend

Mal why would you have your name changed from malmental to urban legend and then come out here and tell us who you are, that's really not the smartest thing you've ever done, don't you think? Ry
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 27, 2012 12:05:59 PM

Quote:
I only mentioned it to you and one more person, everyone else figured it out..

So why the name change in the first place Mal?

@DarkOutlaw, I totally apologize for the thread sidetracking, there really was more than you realized, it is a solved thread now, but once again my apologies!
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 27, 2012 12:23:02 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
So I started backing down the voltage, and am down to 1.28-1.31 with it set in the bios as 1.33. Temps are all below 66c with a 2 hour Prime, so I am definately going in the right direction. Two things I was wondering though:

My core speed is either 1600.x or 4500.x, It is NEVER in the middle. Is that something...normal? I would figure the multiplier ranges would vary from 16-45, not one or the other.

And,

I am currently using fixed voltage. Would it be wise to change to offset? If so, what is the base offset? (1.3?) and what would 1.33 fixed = in an offset?

I am going to burn Prime for another 16 some hours to make sure it can hold the 1.33v that it is set to now. I don't think I would be surprised if I was able to go at least .1 lower.

My guide I originally posted to you will definitely help you, I apologize for coming across like I did, it was not aimed at you, but after re-reading it, I totally see why you took it that way.

The settings in the guide will allow you to run the 4500.x all the time on all 4 cores and never drop down to 1600.x.

I would suggest at least trying it, if you don't like the results go back to what you're running now.

Once again, My Apologies! Ryan
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 27, 2012 12:33:26 PM

Quote:
actually I deleted it so I will copy you another PM..

Actually Mal, Private Messages are supposed to stay, private messages, especially between you and the Admin/Mod Team.

m
l
June 27, 2012 12:43:10 PM

4Ryan6 said:
My guide I originally posted to you will definitely help you, I apologize for coming across like I did, it was not aimed at you, but after re-reading it, I totally see why you took it that way.

The settings in the guide will allow you to run the 4500.x all the time on all 4 cores and never drop down to 1600.x.

I would suggest at least trying it, if you don't like the results go back to what you're running now.

Once again, My Apologies! Ryan

Accepted, you never posted a guide..? Was the Overclocking 101 suppose to be a link?
m
l
June 27, 2012 12:56:14 PM

Oh that one! The "this is not a novice guide" scared me off, and looked for more novice guides.
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 28, 2012 1:09:53 PM

Quote:
+1
that guide is more an extreme clock..

I may need to remove the newbie warning because many have used the guide that were even new to overclocking.

Some class it as extreme because of their reluctance to disable some of the Intel features, especially the energy saving features and the multiplier throttling down to 1600, if anyone concerned will note what happens voltage wise out in the operating system that overclock route actually severely spikes the voltage.

I also have a 2550K that at 4.0ghz was spiking the voltage to 1.520v just to recover from 1600mhz back to the 4.0ghz load level, and ran hotter temps, disabling those features and running fixed voltage not only stopped the spiking but with all 4 cores clocked to 4.0ghz actually ran cooler load temperatures

So listing the guide as extreme maybe comes into play at 5.0ghz simply because of the voltage it takes to run 5.0ghz, or any multiplier requiring voltages over 1.40v, but for a clock around 4.0ghz up to 4.5ghz, which can be handled by air cooling, you really can't class it as extreme just because of disabling some of the Intel features.

Back in the early AMD overclocking when the first thing we did was disable AMDs cool and quiet feature and was commonly accepted, Intel just has more to disable to get what you want from the CPU, well maybe not you, so let me rephrase that as those looking for the same type overclock as I do.

Now let me say this with absolutely no offense to you, have you yourself tried my guide?

Your overclocking method looking at the settings you posted, was used by me as a stepping stone back in February 2011, when I was first overclocking my 2500K before I ever wrote the guide, so your method I have used, have you used mine?

I think if you did you just might discover some things that would surprise you, now I'm not suggesting you take your overclock to 5.0ghz unless you have the cooling to support such an overclock, because you aren't running water all around your house as you claim I do, but 4.5ghz on air cooling you could do.

What I'm nicely trying to say, is try the guide for yourself, if it's a problem or problems tell me what they are so I can correct it, otherwise the thank you PMs I've received from me posting the guide, and THGF users using it to achieve their overclocks, stand as the confirmations of the guide being successful.

Many many THGF users have used that guide to accomplish their goals, and there will be many to come I'm sure, as the Sandy Bridge Ks are quite popular for overclocking, and the most versatile CPUs to date we've ever had our hands on to overclock.
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
June 28, 2012 1:28:23 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Oh that one! The "this is not a novice guide" scared me off, and looked for more novice guides.

I'll probably remove that warning simply because it does scare away some of the new overclockers, because I have had confirmations from new overclockers that they successfully achieved their overclocking goals from using it.

I've often recommended it to new users simply because they wanted to go further but were stuck at a certain overclock level they couldn't seem to get past, but were running cooling capable of them going further, but their BIOS settings were holding them back.

They used it to accomplish their goals and now recommend it to others in the same situation they were in.

As long as you completely follow the guide you won't have any problems, those reporting it caused them hardware loss are zero, those reporting they could not achieve their goals had simply missed a step in the guide.

I wish the best for you, and that you achieve the overclock goals you are after! Ryan
m
l
June 28, 2012 1:49:18 PM

No I have not tried your guide. I have read over it, multiple times in fact. The only reason that I have not tried it is because it is a straight 24/7 over clock. This may be the way to go, I have been trying to figure that out. My main issue is, my computer sits idle for~ 16hrs a day. My hope was to have the system idle @ 1.6ghz, but I am thinking now that just isn't possible. So far any attempt with using the offset option have failed because of the idle voltage. Everything makes it through Prime95 blend test just fine, but as soon as the tests stop, or the computer boots up and I do not start Prime fast enough, it goes blue on me. I think in a perfect world what I am looking for is a way to set the min and max voltage, but as of now I don't really see that happening. So if I have to have a constant fixed voltage being sent to the CPU, I might as well have a constant fixed overclock on the CPU as well. Maybe you can provide some insight into this, but I don't really think it is possible.
m
l
!