How to rename my computer

The person who installed XP on my compuer made an error in spelling my name
for the computer

So when I right click the my computer the "registered user" is not what I
wan't

How do I change this, please note that I do not mean the user as this I know
how
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about rename computer

    Hi Trevor,

    Take a look here : http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    The 7th item in the right column entitled "Change Registered Owner and
    Organization" will allow you to download a vb script that when run will
    allow you to change the registered user name.

    Hope this helps

    "Trevor BROOKES" <REMOVEtrevor@cdmail.fr> wrote in message
    > The person who installed XP on my compuer made an error in spelling my
    name
    > for the computer
    >
    > So when I right click the my computer the "registered user" is not what I
    > wan't
    >
    > How do I change this, please note that I do not mean the user as this I
    know
    > how
    > Thanks

    · Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE). ·
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\
    Windows NT\ CurrentVersion. · To change the values of
    the RegisteredOrganization, RegisteredOwner, or
    ProductId, simply double-click on them. · Note:
    This will only change the registered user information for
    Windows, not for the applications on your system.

    Trevor BROOKES wrote:
    > The person who installed XP on my compuer made an error in spelling
    > my name for the computer
    >
    > So when I right click the my computer the "registered user" is not
    > what I wan't
    >
    > How do I change this, please note that I do not mean the user as
    > this
    > I know how
    > Thanks

    To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can
    use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

    and:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\RegisteredOrganization

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks it worked a treat BUT as the window does not go away when you type in
    the new name I re typed it a second time and now have two names instead of
    one

    how do I get rid of one of the names

    again
    Thanks

    "Ron Casey" <tasselhoff@thisisnotreal.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    %23Z%23HbdWoEHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Trevor,
    >
    > Take a look here : http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >
    > The 7th item in the right column entitled "Change Registered Owner and
    > Organization" will allow you to download a vb script that when run will
    > allow you to change the registered user name.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >

    > "Trevor BROOKES" <REMOVEtrevor@cdmail.fr> wrote in message
    >> The person who installed XP on my compuer made an error in spelling my
    > name
    >> for the computer
    >>
    >> So when I right click the my computer the "registered user" is not what I
    >> wan't
    >>
    >> How do I change this, please note that I do not mean the user as this I
    > know
    >> how
    >> Thanks

    You need to go through your whole REGEDIT function on
    RUN find all the spot where the initial computer was
    setup and rename it by doing a search and renaming every
    location that has the initial setup name. Users has
    nothing to do with your initial setup know, let previous
    versions.

Configuration Computers Windows XP