How to rename my computer

The person who installed XP on my compuer made an error in spelling my name
for the computer

So when I right click the my computer the "registered user" is not what I
wan't

How do I change this, please note that I do not mean the user as this I know
how
Thanks

Hi Trevor,

Take a look here : http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

The 7th item in the right column entitled "Change Registered Owner and
Organization" will allow you to download a vb script that when run will
allow you to change the registered user name.

Hope this helps

"Trevor BROOKES" <REMOVEtrevor@cdmail.fr> wrote in message
> The person who installed XP on my compuer made an error in spelling my
name
> for the computer
>
> So when I right click the my computer the "registered user" is not what I
> wan't
>
> How do I change this, please note that I do not mean the user as this I
know
> how
> Thanks

Carol

· Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE). ·
Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\
Windows NT\ CurrentVersion. · To change the values of
the RegisteredOrganization, RegisteredOwner, or
ProductId, simply double-click on them. · Note:
This will only change the registered user information for
Windows, not for the applications on your system.

Trevor BROOKES wrote:
> The person who installed XP on my compuer made an error in spelling
> my name for the computer
>
> So when I right click the my computer the "registered user" is not
> what I wan't
>
> How do I change this, please note that I do not mean the user as
> this
> I know how
> Thanks

To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can
use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Thanks it worked a treat BUT as the window does not go away when you type in
the new name I re typed it a second time and now have two names instead of
one

how do I get rid of one of the names

again
Thanks

"Ron Casey" <tasselhoff@thisisnotreal.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
%23Z%23HbdWoEHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi Trevor,
>
> Take a look here : http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> The 7th item in the right column entitled "Change Registered Owner and
> Organization" will allow you to download a vb script that when run will
> allow you to change the registered user name.
>
> Hope this helps
>

> "Trevor BROOKES" <REMOVEtrevor@cdmail.fr> wrote in message
>> The person who installed XP on my compuer made an error in spelling my
> name
>> for the computer
>>
>> So when I right click the my computer the "registered user" is not what I
>> wan't
>>
>> How do I change this, please note that I do not mean the user as this I
> know
>> how
>> Thanks

You need to go through your whole REGEDIT function on
RUN find all the spot where the initial computer was
setup and rename it by doing a search and renaming every
location that has the initial setup name. Users has
nothing to do with your initial setup know, let previous
versions.