Two different types of heatsink fans on the same CPU connecter?

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hey everyone,

I have another noob question for anyone who can answer it.

Tomorrow I plan on attaching a Noctua NF-F12 to my Hyper 212 Evo CPU heatsink in an effort to create a good push/pull configuration.

I figured that the Noctua will probably be best suited as the PULL part of the setup as it should generate a stronger force of air compared to the stock fan that came with the cooler and it makes more sense to me to have it that way (please correct me if I'm wrong). This way the flow won't be restricted in any way.

I was planning on hooking up both fans to the same CPU fan connector on the motherboard via a Y cable that came with the Noctua but I have concerns that this will cause something to malfunction as the fans in question each have different rated speeds and obviously are manufactured by different companies. Both are 4-pin PWM capable and I plan on setting them both to the same fan profile in BIOS (if that's possible).

So do you think this will work or must I connect one of the fans to the power supply and just have it at 100% fan speed all the time?

FYI: The stock fan that came with the Hyper 212 Evo has a range of 600-2000 RPM and the Noctua NF-F12 of just 300-1500 (however If I understand correctly it is a superior design and still generates more cool air despite a slower speed).

My motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D-LE.

If anyone could help me clear this up I would be grateful.

Thanks.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
My suggestion, if your having heat problems with your cpu, is to get a water cooler.....They have dropped in price and are very reasonable. They are super quiet and nothing comes close to cooling your cpu as well as a water cooler will. I think your going to have trouble trying to use two different speed fans in that configuration. if I were going to try that I'd get two of tha same fans and then try it. Best of luck.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Not interested in water cooling at this stage. I don't think it's worth it for this particular rig but thanks for the tip. Maybe next build.

Yeah, I have the feeling It won't work the way I want it to but thought it would be worth asking. I spose I will have to hook the heatsink fans up to separate connectors.

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
It should be fine. Each fan will draw their respective amperage and all should work smoothly.
Worst case scenario: a rock from outer space hits your case therefore wrecking your fans. ;)

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Cool, thanks carlosb!

I guess I am now re thinking my proposed set up after reading another thread here (almost identical actually lol). Not sure if my rear exhaust fan will expel the hot air from the Noctua fast enough. And would it even be worth dedicating two fans for push/pull?

If it can help me lose around 4'C then I think so...

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Ok, my rear exhaust (CHF1) is currently running at 2960 rpm (according to PC Wizard) so I'm thinking this should be strong enough to handle the heat coming from my NF-F12.

Just wondering if for some reason it won't work to have the different cpu fans on the same connector, could I just have one (the Noctua for example) connected to the 4 pin chassis fan connector?

EDIT: Just realized the Y cable has one 4 pin plug and one 3 pin plug. I'm guessing that this may be a problem with my proposed setup?

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I didnt quite catch what you were trying to say in that last post but Ill try to clear things up. Any 4 pin or 3 pin fan will work on a 4 pin fan connector. You mentioned the splitter only has a 3 pin and a 4 pin connector, so Im guessing that it is designed to manage the speed of the Noctua (or any other 4 pin fan) and to undervolt or just run at full speed the 3 pin fan.
If you have any other 3 pin fan, Id reccomned plugging it into the splitter alongside the Noctua and plug the fan that came with your heatsink to a 4 pin fan connector, putting it in the space of the other 3 pin fan.

About the airflow, heres something from experience:
So I had a stock case with a 80mm exhaust fan and a 80mm intake fan. My temps were at 80°C for the CPU and 80-85°C for the GPU on Intels stock heatsink at 80% to 90% load.
I decided to switch to a CM 690 II Advanced. I got 3 outtake fans (1 rear and 2 top) and 4 intake (2 bottom, 1 front and 1 side) fans all running at around 80% velocity (average 1500 to 1800 RPM. My temps on the GPU improved dramatically: they dropped 20°C degrees. The CPU still got heated up because the heatskink wasnt able to dissipate much heat. I switched to a Hyper 212+ and they dropped 20°C degrees. However I later learnt that 7 fans werent needed because I built a computer (more or less same specs) for my brother with only 2 intake and 2 outake fans and a Hyper 212+ plus. He got the more or less the same temps as me.
Moral of the story: aslong as there is enough air inside the case and enough fans to get the hot air out you don't have to worry a thing about airflow

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
..regarding the configuration you mentioned - I will have to look into whether my rear exhaust fan is 3 pin, but that's quite a good idea. Anyway it's really late here so I'll sort it out in the morning.

I really appreciate your help :)