Sign in with
Your question

GA-790XTA-UD4 no longer showing post logo or allowing access to bios

Last response: in Motherboards
July 9, 2010 4:36:56 AM

So I finished my first build a few days ago, and everything was great. However, yesterday I went to turn my system on and the usual "Press F12 for bios, Press del for options..." etc didn't show up. Neither did the windows loading screen. My monitor reported no signal for around a minute, and then all of a sudden the win7 login screen shows up. I've tried pressing f12 to access the bios when I turn the computer on - windows no longer boots, leaving my monitor blank but the computer still humming away like normal. I'm assuming that the the motherboard is responding, and that theres some kind of disconnect between it and the graphics card or something, but I really don't understand why it would be so selective. Again, if I power up the system and don't press anything on the keyboard, the windows 7 login screen will show up eventually and I can use the system without any problems. I really don't have a clue whats going on here, this is my first build so I'm not really sure how to handle this; I've read a bunch of stuff about motherboards but I haven't found anything like this problem anywhere (perhaps I just don't know what to look for?)

my specs in case you need them:
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz, stock cooling fan
4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram
GeForce 9800 GX2
Corsair 750w power supply
Hitachi 1TB Sata HDD

a c 109 V Motherboard
July 9, 2010 6:34:46 AM

Generally whenever there is a display problem, the first thing I'd think of messing with is the display cable. Check the cable first, make sure its on securely with both sets of screws tightened.

Moving on, the next thing you may want to check out is the no display/no boot sticky. The link is in my signature. Although your problem is intermittent, this guide is still very useful.
m
l
July 9, 2010 5:04:29 PM

Plugging my DVI cable into the second DVI port on my graphics card makes everything work properly. I'm borrowing my card from a friend until I get mine in the mail, so I don't have the instruction manual for it. Not really sure why one port would fail to display the mobo screen, but everything is working as it should now (plus this is a temp graphics card anyway), so I'm not going to look too deeply into it.

Thanks for you help T_T
m
l
a c 109 V Motherboard
July 9, 2010 6:01:11 PM

Nice. Glad to see all is well.
m
l
!