GA-X58A-UD3R USB 3.0 SATA 6.0gb/s + xfire?

Rking82

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I just bought the GA-X58A-UD3R and i've been searching and I find mixed responses to this question some sites say it works and some say it doesn't.

Can you use 2x ATI cards at x16 as well as utilize the usb 3.0 and Sata 6.0gb/s or does using 2x ATI cards prevent those from working?

bilbat

Splendid
The PCIeX16/X8 slots are 'pulled off' the pair of X16's on the X58 - the USB3 and SATA3 chips (NEC D720200F1, and Marvell 9128, respectively) are run from the X58's remaining X4 - will not affect each other at all; the biggest advantage of the X58/5520 is a full thirty-six lanes of PCIe... If you're running a P/M/H55, and want to use the SATA3/USB3 - you gotta give up something else!

bilbat

Splendid
Where? Not critical, just all on a 'need to know' basis, and I need to know! Seems really odd, though - xFire actually 'unloads the PCIe bus' to some degree, as 'traffic is shifted' to the xFire bus. Not mentioned in the 'general exception' notes on page 12, nor the "CrossFireX™/SLI Confguration" on page 19...

bilbat

Splendid
Well, at least someone to ask next - hope it isn't "grandmaw's ham"...

Guy is watching his wife prepare the Easter Ham dinner, and sees her cut the bottom, past the bone-end, off the ham. Curious, he asks her why? She says. "I really don't know, my mom always cut the end off the ham!" So, the next time he sees the mother-in-law, he asks her. She says, "I really don't know, my mom always cut the end off the ham!" So, next mother's day, when everyone's together, he remembers to ask great-grandmaw. She says, "When I was first married, the only roasting pan we could afford was so small, the ham wouldn't fit unless I cut the end off!" ...and so it goes...