Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help with Finding HHD

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2011 7:08:16 AM

hi im in the proses of building a computer. the comp is gonna b used for playing diablo 3 max settings,
producing profecinal audio. ( making beats / recording ) i am trying to find a good hhd fo this.

i was thinking 7xxx RPM 2x500GB in raid 0 for a total of 1TB space. unless its better to have 2x1TB for total of 2tb space.

i dont know who makes some good hhd so can some 1 help me pick out a good reliable one i can use in raid 0?
( i dont know what it means when they say raid-0/1/5/etc ) lil help on that i always here raid 0 is good. )

i.e : i think ima use this ssd for windows 7. sounds good? or sould i be looking at somethng bettet ?
SSD : Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD – 214.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : finding hhd

November 29, 2011 7:32:03 AM

any help plz?
November 29, 2011 9:13:42 AM

guess not many people kno about hard drives?
Related resources
November 29, 2011 9:34:36 AM

Go for OCZ SSD. HDD's are too damn expensive right now, even more so if you plan on buying two and placing them in raid.
Instead get one SSD, install Win7 and you're good to go. Buy HDD for other data.
(You still might want to read some guides on how to increase the lifespan of SSD)

And if you are going to ask a public board for help, you cant expect response immediately.
November 29, 2011 7:37:55 PM

i have been reading bad things about OCZ. it was actually my 1st choice but i m starting to doubt it because every 1 was its having problems with breaking down and firmware.
a b G Storage
November 29, 2011 8:17:12 PM

I bought an M4 a month ago and it hasn't missed a beat.
November 30, 2011 2:44:41 AM

+1 for m4. +1 a OCZ. tie breaker?
a b G Storage
November 30, 2011 4:45:06 AM

OCZ has fixed their firmware issue. I'd choose the cheaper one. With a ssd, the hdd would only be for storage so there's no point in raid. So just buy 1 hdd with the size you need since hdd prices are up from the flooding.
November 30, 2011 11:31:37 PM

k1114 said:
OCZ has fixed their firmware issue. I'd choose the cheaper one. With a ssd, the hdd would only be for storage so there's no point in raid. So just buy 1 hdd with the size you need since hdd prices are up from the flooding.

so what are some real benefits of having a ssd? i mean ssd is only used for windows right? lik start windows n then what does it do?
a b G Storage
December 1, 2011 5:20:57 AM

The main benefit of a ssd is access times, which makes everything on the ssd more responsive; near instant startup of any software or file on the ssd. With a 128gb ssd you'll be able to fit windows and probably all of your software. Any left over space can be used for working files. You don't want to fill it completely, it will slow down when it's almost full so leave like 20% free.
December 2, 2011 3:20:59 AM

would it b a good idea to have 60 gb ssd for windoes then like 2x 128gb ssds in raid 0 for programs n files?

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 2, 2011 4:42:19 AM

Ssds are fast enough, music production isn't too demanding, so raid 0 on a ssd is a waste and double the danger as when one drive dies, all you're data on both are gone. If you really don't need much space, a single large ssd is fine. Most people usually need more space so go the ssd+hdd route.
December 12, 2011 12:46:21 AM

Best answer selected by lilblood904.
!