SMART PREDICTS FAILURE, BUT WD'S DATA LIFEGARD SAYS HDD FINE

I bought an Acer Aspire 8942G laptop on 26-03-2010 with a
Intel Core i7 cpu; Q 720 @ 1,60GHz 1,60GHz
RAM: 6 GB;
64 bit operating system with
HDD: WDC WD6400BEVT-22A0RT0; CAPACITY: 640GB
Windows 7 home premium.

Smart is giving me a warning message that my HDD is about to fail, but I downloaded WD's Data Lifegard and did the extended test which passed the hdd. What am I to make of this? Is it going to fail or not, if not how do I get smart to stop warning me?
6 answers Last reply
More about smart predicts failure data lifegard fine
  1. Use a tool like HD Tune, and check the Health tab to see the individual smart attributes, and which of them have crossed the threshold.
  2. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    HD tune : quick error scan = normal, but health failed on reallocated sector count with a value of 134 [current]; 134 [ worst]; 140 [ threshold]; 521 [ data]; failure [ status]
  3. That doesn't look good - your disk has 521 bad sectors, and it came with only 140 spare sectors.

I'm afraid you're looking at replacing your HDD.

First things first, ensure you've a backup of your critical files, and if possible also take a backup of Windows to an external drive.
  4. Thanks again, I have done the system disc, system image and a back up to an external drive already. So I will be off to the computer shop then. Thanks for the advise.
  5. You're welcome.

A suggestion - hard disk prices have shot up recently due to flooding in Thailand. I'd suggest you do a bit of online research & price comparison to try and find the best deal.

Western Digital is hardest hit, so you might find their prices have increased the most.
  6. SSDs re more attractive with the price increases in HDDs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Storage Product