5850 problems

Gad_Olinium

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hello everyone, i just recently bought a new 5850 to replace an old 9500gt nvida card, so i installed the card plugged in the 6pin connection to the card and the power supply hooked the cables to the back of the monitor and turned on the comp, but to my surprise the screen remained black and the lights on the monitor blinked, i did everything in the manual, then i decide to buy a new power supply thinking it was power issue, after doing this and installing it, the same thing kept on happening, i decide to turn on my speakers to see if windows is running, doing this i found out it was turning on the computer just that i cant see anything not even the bios, i look inside and i see the fan on the 5850 running at normal speed. Does anyone have any issue like this can anyone help with some info please i am in need of major help here are my specs

asrock conroe1333 ddr667

intel e5200 2.5ghz

hd 500gigs

psu 650w altek

4gigs ddr2ram

note this mainboard is pci express 1.0 not 2.0 but that shouldn't affect it either

someone help thanks in advance

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
As you have a 650w psu unless it's really bad you should at least get to post on the screen before it wigs out. I will ask have you tried putting the gpu into another slot, or tring another DVI port. As you hinted that for the most part the computer starts and seeing as how the pcie port was working before i would think it's a faulty gpu on some level.

Gad_Olinium

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
thank you guys for posting and for wanting to help, now as for your question, the computer is posting, i found out yesterday after trying everything, i decide to turn on the speakers to find out if i can hear windows load up so i turned it on and found out the computer was turning on its just that the video card isnt displaying for some reason find help on other fourms and this one i found out that, my mainboard asrock as well as many others are having problems with this type of card especially pci express 1.0 i dont know why its obvious fault of ati for not fixing this so that pretty much leaves me to the point were i need to buy a new mainboard so, before i decide to buy new mainboard today i went to this local computer store hes a friend and he decide to help me, i will find out later on today if its my mainboard or if its the video card hope its not my video card so ill keep you guys posted on what happens.