Sign in with
Your question

Can I run external HDD using USB 3 port?

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2011 11:45:55 AM

Hi all

I've got a back up question I was hoping someone could answer. Currently I use a HDD in an external Icybox enclosure for backing up my drives using Norton Ghost. My current motherboard has e-sata ports which are perfect for this as they are fast (there aren't any e-sata ports on my case). I am switchhing to a P67 motherboard which has USB 3 but no e-sata ports. My Icybox enclosure has a cable for using with USB 2 which was far too slow compared to e-sata so I never used it.

I am wondering whether I can use this enclosure with the USB 3 ports which I understand to be so much faster than USB 2? Is there such a thing as a USB 3 cable I could use for example or will I have to buy a new enclosure which is USB 3 compatible (or put my back up HDD in the case itself and use normal sata ports which is not as secure for back up).

Thanks in advance

Mag
November 29, 2011 12:05:26 PM

Hi MagR,

You can use your enclosure with the USB 3 port, but you will only receive USB 2 performance. (and yes there is such thing as a USB 3 cable but will only provide USB 3 performance when used with a USB 3 port and USB 3 device)

Here is an article the explains the difference between the 2:

http://www.techspot.com/guides/235-everything-about-usb...

Long story short:

You are not going to receive USB 3 speeds unless you upgrade your enclosure to a USB 3 enclosure. But you can still use your current enclosure: only at USB 2.

Hope this helps
November 29, 2011 12:06:53 PM

The speed is limited by USB 2.0 controller in your enclosure so if you connect your enclosure to USB 3.0 port, the port will fall back to USB 2.0 mode.
The only way to get USB 3.0 speed is to buy a new USB 3.0 enclosure.
Hope this helps! :) 
Related resources
November 30, 2011 3:54:49 PM

sardonicjester said:
Hi MagR,

You can use your enclosure with the USB 3 port, but you will only receive USB 2 performance. (and yes there is such thing as a USB 3 cable but will only provide USB 3 performance when used with a USB 3 port and USB 3 device)

Here is an article the explains the difference between the 2:

http://www.techspot.com/guides/235-everything-about-usb...

Long story short:

You are not going to receive USB 3 speeds unless you upgrade your enclosure to a USB 3 enclosure. But you can still use your current enclosure: only at USB 2.

Hope this helps

Thanks Jester - that has cleared that one up nicely!
November 30, 2011 3:57:31 PM

ZenithCS said:
The speed is limited by USB 2.0 controller in your enclosure so if you connect your enclosure to USB 3.0 port, the port will fall back to USB 2.0 mode.
The only way to get USB 3.0 speed is to buy a new USB 3.0 enclosure.
Hope this helps! :) 

Thanks Zenith - that is clear and backs up what Jester said.
!