chris238b

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I am about to upgrade from an old factory drive to a new 7200 rpm drive. The old drive has vista, I plan on installing win 7 on the new drive. If I retain the old drive as a slave, will the old OS install interfere with the new master drive? If so is it possible to remove vista from the old drive without having to reformat?

thanks

Solution
Before installing windows 7, remove all other drives or at least the power to them. This will guarantee that the OS and boot loader end up on the same drive. Check your bios and make sure the 1st boot device is the new drive. Install the OS and when complete, install your remaining drives. The vista drive should not interfere. At this point you can either format the old drive or just delete the windows (vista) folder from the old drive.
Before installing windows 7, remove all other drives or at least the power to them. This will guarantee that the OS and boot loader end up on the same drive. Check your bios and make sure the 1st boot device is the new drive. Install the OS and when complete, install your remaining drives. The vista drive should not interfere. At this point you can either format the old drive or just delete the windows (vista) folder from the old drive.

Solution