Sign in with
Your question

Buying new CPU

Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2010 6:52:58 PM

im looking forward to buy new CPU which will probably be amd athlon || x4 630. it seems best cpu for the same money. from amd. i dont know if my mobo supports any intel since its website lists only amd cpus.
one main concern i have though is that some forums said 630 should have better cooler but is this only when overclocking?
Thank you!

here's the mobo im going to use:
Msi 770-C45

More about : buying cpu

a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 27, 2010 7:48:41 PM

The stock cooler will provide more than enough cooling if you are not overclocking. Overclocking will increase heat. The athlon IIx4, if you do not increase the voltage, will still be within safe temperatures when you overclock. Overclocking does not change your cooler. It is a process by which you raise the CPU clock speed in the bios. Your question is a little confusing though. Better cooling than what?

Motherboards use sockets. AMD has many sockets. So does intel. Yours is an AMD AM3 socket. This will support all Athlon II and Phenom II processors. Intel and AMD have not used the same socket since the early 1990s. It wouldn't be as competitive. They don't work together.

The 630 is a good CPU. If you plan to overclock you will gain little from the 630 over the 620 but if you do not plan to overclock, the 630 will be worth it. I ask you also: What are your intended uses? I ask this because you may benefit from an Athlon IIx3 at 3.1 GHz more than you would benefit from a 2.8GHz x4. But this is all dependent on usage.

February 27, 2010 8:34:13 PM

ty for the comprehensive reply enzo matrix :) 

enzo matrix said:
Your question is a little confusing though. Better cooling than what?

I mean the stock cooling/cooler that comes with the 630.

enzo matrix said:
I ask you also: What are your intended uses? I ask this because you may benefit from an Athlon IIx3 at 3.1 GHz more than you would benefit from a 2.8GHz x4. But this is all dependent on usage.

It's for gaming. i thought 630 wont lag in latest strategy games and other cpu intensive games?
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 28, 2010 4:55:37 AM

"I mean the stock cooling/cooler that comes with the 630."
Yes I know. You asked if the stock cooler would have better cooling. Better cooling than what?

"It's for gaming. i thought 630 wont lag in latest strategy games and other cpu intensive games?"
Currently 3 cores is the sweet spot for most games. And Athlon IIx3 at 3.1GHz would be less expensive and perform better for your needs. I have an athlon IIx4 620. The only reason though is because it is overclocked to 3.2GHz and for some strange reason here in Canada, the Athlon IIx3 models are hard to come by and if you can find them, they are more expensive than the x3s for some strange reason. But in the states it is less expensive to buy and x3.

I'm sorry I meant 3.0GHz.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you are set on 4 cores, get this instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Of course, with these recommendations, I am assuming you have no intention of overclocking. If you do, my recommendations will change.
February 28, 2010 4:56:32 PM

enzo matrix said:
"I mean the stock cooling/cooler that comes with the 630."
Yes I know. You asked if the stock cooler would have better cooling. Better cooling than what?

oh sorry i meant, should the 630 have better cooling than what the stock cooler offers.
and i understand u only need to install better cooling if overclocking..

im going to go for 630 its much cheaper here.
i also do programming and trust the four cores to handle this well..

a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 28, 2010 10:07:07 PM

Awesome. It's a good processor.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of programming do you do? I hear that it's very difficult to optimize programs to use multiple cores.
March 1, 2010 2:20:48 AM

Just some C++ coding, hobby game projects. i mainly need the processor for the building process. didnt even know its possible to optimize for multiple cores.
!