Sign in with
Your question

Formating hard drive

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2011 3:38:19 PM

I have an IDE hard drive as C: with Win Xp on it. I just bought a SATA drive by Samsung and plugged that in.

If I go to Device Manager, I can see the drive there. But it does not appear under File Manager. Is that because its not formatted or something?

If so, how do I format it?

Thanks,

Jon

More about : formating hard drive

November 29, 2011 3:54:23 PM

Go into 'Computer Management' and go to 'Storage' then 'Disk Management'. You should see your C: drive and your CD drive... hopefully you will see your SATA hard drive.... if you do you can right click on it and tell it to change the drive letter.... call it Z: or X: or something.... see if windows shows it then. if not, right click on it and Format it to NTFS... let us know what you get.
November 29, 2011 4:13:15 PM

Where is "Computer Management"?
Related resources
November 29, 2011 5:49:53 PM

Pretty sure the path is the same for XP:

START >> CONTROL PANEL >> ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS >> COMPUTER MANAGEMENT...
November 29, 2011 9:05:58 PM

When you open Device Manager, it is that window... look at the top it says 'Computer Manager'..... on the left go to 'Storage' instead of device manager..... then do the rest.
a b G Storage
November 30, 2011 5:15:06 AM

Jon12345 said:
I have an IDE hard drive as C: with Win Xp on it. I just bought a SATA drive by Samsung and plugged that in.

If I go to Device Manager, I can see the drive there. But it does not appear under File Manager. Is that because its not formatted or something?

If so, how do I format it?

Thanks,

Jon

It seems like you haven't partition your hard drive, or create partition on your new hard disk.
November 30, 2011 11:20:48 AM

That worked nicely. Thanks guys!
November 30, 2011 1:13:53 PM

Happy to help :) 
!