February 27, 2010 7:16:34 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next week

BUDGET RANGE: 900-1100

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, movies, internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: do not need any peripherals

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg or zipzoomfly

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Quad Core processor, ATI gfx

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (never done it, willing to learn)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Want this catered to new games BFBC2, and future games

More about : build

a b à CPUs
February 27, 2010 7:25:08 PM

Please repost using this format as there are several needed informations not included in your original post.
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2010 7:26:36 PM

In US or want HD5850 CF in the future: i5-750 + HD5850

NOT In US: Phenom II X4 955 + HD5850
Related resources
February 27, 2010 7:42:23 PM

edited
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2010 7:55:52 PM

megaman12 said:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next week

BUDGET RANGE: 900-1100

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, movies, internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: do not need any peripherals

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg or zipzoomfly

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Quad Core processor, ATI gfx

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (never done it, willing to learn)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Want this catered to new games BFBC2, and future games

$1100 for CPU+MB+RAM+GFX only, right?

HD5850 is a waste for gaming under 1680x1050.

However, I would also go with HD5850 considering you are not going to CF and might get a higher resolution monitor in the future.

i5-750+HD5850

p.s. i5-750+HD5770 would be the better pick if you were planning to do CF in the future.
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2010 8:14:58 PM
February 27, 2010 8:15:06 PM

Sorry what does GST mean?
February 27, 2010 8:15:43 PM

thanks for the responses, I dont need an operating system as well :) 
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2010 8:18:27 PM

megaman12 said:
Sorry what does GST mean?

GST = General Sale Tax = Tax

$1100 for a complete system or CPU+MB+RAM+GFX only?
February 27, 2010 8:30:45 PM

complete system HD, Case, PSU I just dont need monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 27, 2010 8:47:56 PM
March 1, 2010 12:38:34 AM

Alright ladies and gentlemen, this is what I have come down to. Both fit into my budget and I would just like to get any last words before choosing one (I am leaning towards the i5). If you are a little shaky on my motherboard, I have used ECS for many years and love their mobos, never have had an issue tell me if I am being dumb with that brand loyalty thing :D 

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6485/i5set.png i5 setup

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1483/blzd.png AMD setup

Thanks again
March 1, 2010 1:15:05 AM

For your uses you will see no difference whatsoever between the AMD or Intel setup. So your choice. Also the AM3 mobos are fine with 5850s in xfire.

EDIT: On that AMD setup, you chose a really nice mobo by the way. That ones very good for overclocking.
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2010 2:23:53 AM

@yannifb:

PII with 4890 CF is worse than i7+4870 CF. It means that PII is already bottlenecking the HD4890 CF, let alone the HD5850 CF.

You are lying once again like you did in these places:

Quote:
andy5174 Wrote:
yannifb said:
Toms did a little bench on this a while ago, the actual CPU on the i3 (since the i3 has a small gpu on the chip) is weaker than a Phenom II x 2. If your not planning to use the igp on the i3, and instead want to get or already have a decent graphics card, go with the phenom II x2. Also phenom IIs can use ddr3 in addition to ddr2.

A suggestion would be the Athlon II x3 or x4, they are much cheaper than either the Phenom II or I3, and perform better than the i3 overall. Pair that with a 785G mobo and you have yourself a pretty nice HTPC system.

Did they? Where is it? I only see the performance comparison between PentiumG9650 vs PII x2 555 at TOM.

Show us the benchmark you mentioned.

Comment: TOM never did the benchmark mentioned by him

Quote:
andy5174 Wrote:
yannifb said:
Ummmm.... you realize in that thread I was talking about the Athlon II x4, which is actually faster than the I3, even in multi threaded apps? How about you come up with a valid argument now :D 

Now you are lying again!

You were referring to the Pehnom II X2.

Proof: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275998-28-which-intel...

You AMD fanboys are nothing but liars. It's ok to be ignorant but don't bring your ignorant theory to peoples who need help.

To AMD fanboys, arguments are not valid as long as they are against AMD, so I can NOT provide the arguments that are valid in your logic!
March 1, 2010 3:01:38 AM

Thanks for all your help andy. I have decided to go with the i5, my buddy told me that he can OC it to 3.2 easy, so there is no sense in not getting the intel, I have been searching many benchmark and overall, even for strictly gaming, the i5 has the lead, especially when OC'd.
March 1, 2010 3:01:52 AM

Best answer selected by megaman12.
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2010 3:09:34 AM

megaman12 said:
Thanks for all your help andy. I have decided to go with the i5, my buddy told me that he can OC it to 3.2 easy, so there is no sense in not getting the intel, I have been searching many benchmark and overall, even for strictly gaming, the i5 has the lead, especially when OC'd.

3.2GHz easy? No, it is DARN easy! You can achieve 3.2GHz on i5-750 with every voltage at stock if not below stock!

99% of i5-750 owner can achieve 3.6GH near stock Vcore.

Have a look at the following guide if you have no idea on how to overclock.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256144-29-1156-core-o...
March 1, 2010 3:14:54 AM

haha thanks again, i'll take a look at that in the morning :) 
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2010 3:19:58 AM

You haven't got the i5, have you?

Preview? You must be a top student at uni. :lol: 
March 1, 2010 4:20:41 PM

I am going to order the parts either this wednesday or next wednesday. I will post pictures and let you know how my OC process goes :) 
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2010 4:41:29 PM

Good luck!
March 1, 2010 9:42:46 PM

andy5174 said:
Good luck!

Wow and im lying???? Do you have some sort of anger issue? You realize people can be wrong without lying? Oh and listen genius, go check out the benchmarks after the catalyst driver that really helped scaling with the PhII (i think it was 9.9 or later). Oh and about that thread you seem to be in love with, if you were able to control your anger long enough to actually read it, after the bench's i told the OP i'd recommend the Athlon II x4, so thats where i got it.

But i suppose there's no sense arguing with someone who can't look past his massive b**er for intel...
March 1, 2010 9:46:25 PM

Oh and one more thing andy, i even said that they were from another site (correcting myself). But anyway thats a cute attempt :lol: 
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2010 3:01:28 AM

Gosh, AMD fanboys always accuse others being rude while they are the rudest out there!

@yannifb:

People could make mistakes without lying , but that's definitely not applied to you. You kept lying after releasing you made mistake! And 99% of the information came from you is wrong and you never stop spreading your AMD craps!

Proof:
Quote:
andy5174 Wrote:
yannifb said:
Ummmm.... you realize in that thread I was talking about the Athlon II x4, which is actually faster than the I3, even in multi threaded apps? How about you come up with a valid argument now :D 

Now you are lying again!

You were referring to the Pehnom II X2.

Proof: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275998-28-which-intel...

You AMD fanboys are nothing but liars. It's ok to be ignorant but don't bring your ignorant theory to peoples who need help.

To AMD fanboys, arguments are not valid as long as they are against AMD, so I can NOT provide the arguments that are valid in your logic!

p.s. My attitude is much better than you and I don't insult other peoples like you even when you AMD fanboys giving craps!
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2010 3:25:11 AM

@yannifb:

Stop insulting and providing misleading information.

You are the one who really should change the attitude and learn to respect others.
March 2, 2010 9:54:23 PM

andy5174 said:
@yannifb:

Stop insulting and providing misleading information.

You are the one who really should change the attitude and learn to respect others.

No you don't understand, I am fine to those who are able to have intelligent arguments, instead of those who think putting the words 'yannifb is a liar' in bold is a substitute for an argument :lol: 

Also, please, read the post. I realize i said PhII x2 in that thread, but then i corrected myself and said an Athlon II x4 is better. Oh and since i own a PhII im a fanboy? :D  . Thats cute man, thats cute.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2010 2:49:39 AM

I / We don't need to know the craps from you. :non: 

All I / we need to know is that you are an ignorant AMD fanboys who always give rubbish. :pt1cable: 

Just stay quiet and read if you know nothing. This is best way for hiding your ignorance. :kaola: 

BTW, I called you AMD fanboy not because you own a 955 but because:
1. You keeps telling peoples that PII X2/PII-955 is better than i3/i5 without reading any benchmark first.
(All that in your mind is "AMD is better no matter what".) :heink: 
2. You never stop lying that AMD is superior even you were told that you are wrong so many times.
(Denying the truth is what you AMD fanboys best at!) :heink: 

p.s. The cat in your avater is cute. Your ignorance make you resemble the cat in IQ but not in appearance. :lol: 

Hopeless kid. :pfff: 

:hello:  :hello:  :hello: 
March 3, 2010 8:58:15 PM

Yeah... kid with a Phd....

Also can you read? You know honestly its funny to see how your not even smart enough to read. And ohhhhh im sorry.... were those little smileys meant to hurt my feelings? Go take care of that b**er for that i5 and then we'll talk, in the meantime have fun at home.
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2010 12:39:38 AM

The cat in your avater is cute. Your ignorance make you resemble the cat in IQ but not in appearance. :lol: 

You are ignored by your cat brother. :hello: 

March 4, 2010 1:59:57 AM

andy5174 said:
The cat in your avater is cute. Your ignorance make you resemble the cat in IQ but not in appearance. :lol: 

You are ignored by your cat brother. :hello: 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/sword003/ignore.jpg

Oh i see what you did there! Repeat the exact same thing you did before??? You must be a genius! And damn my kitten avatar looks cute??? Argh i picked it out cause i thought it looked bada**...
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2010 2:51:02 AM

I won't keep repeating if you cut out your AMD craps. :) 

BTW, it's so hard to get you correct without repeating considering your IQ.
March 4, 2010 2:51:14 AM

hey hey, i chose my setup and that is that, the benchmarks i have seen show the i5 to be superior. That is all.
March 6, 2010 7:17:47 PM

megaman12 said:
hey hey, i chose my setup and that is that, the benchmarks i have seen show the i5 to be superior. That is all.

I never said it wasn't superior, I just am trying to convince andy (who just can't stand anyone who doesn't bow down to Intel) that in order to actually have an argument it takes more than pictures of cats.
a c 133 à CPUs
March 6, 2010 7:43:33 PM

I love intel believe me i am almost an intel fanboy but price to performance ratio you cant beat an AMD system and as for the one lonely bench he shows dosen't prove nothing. You cant just look at one bench and say hey this is so much better because there are alot of other benchs that put the 965BE rite there with an I7 so I have to agree with yann.
March 6, 2010 7:49:27 PM

Exactly! I was just suggesting the PhII b/c he wouldn't notice any difference (unless he does video rendering) and could save some money as well.
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2010 9:46:42 PM

saaiello said:
I love intel believe me i am almost an intel fanboy but price to performance ratio you cant beat an AMD system and as for the one lonely bench he shows dosen't prove nothing. You cant just look at one bench and say hey this is so much better because there are alot of other benchs that put the 965BE rite there with an I7 so I have to agree with yann.

yannifb said:
Exactly! I was just suggesting the PhII b/c he wouldn't notice any difference (unless he does video rendering) and could save some money as well.

@SAAIELLO:

I agree that AMD has better cp ratio, BUT yanni was saying that the performance of PII-555 is better than i3 which is not true.
March 6, 2010 11:58:51 PM

andy5174 said:
@SAAIELLO:

I agree that AMD has better cp ratio, BUT yanni was saying that the performance of PII-555 is better than i3 which is not true.

Yes, but andy I even corrected myself by recommending an Athlon II x3 or 4 instead.
!