Watercooling duel Xeon E5 CPUs

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I am building a high end workstation that will be using duel Xeon E5 CPUs under heavy work load for graphics rendering. The new Xeon E5 is not supported for overclocking, but the temps those put out, especially under load of near or full CPU capacity, is quite a lot. For cooling, I was thinking I could do a Corsair H100 for each CPU to be on the safe side. However, I thought maybe the H80 would be adequate too but wasn't sure.

If anyone can share their thoughts on how best to keep the temps cool on the Xeon E5 duel processors that would be helpful. I just want to be careful and make sure it has enough cooling for the workstation.

Thanks.

Check the sticky out up top and calculate the Tdp of the chips, I'd reckon thats going in a large case so a real loop with a 480 rad, or a couple, a 360+240 maybe, it will throw you much better performance
If your Cpu's are going to be working hard, you need to cool them hard, not with Fisherprice allinones :p
Moto

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012

The TDP is 150 per CPU. I don't know much about water cooling and wanted to stay with a closed loop version like the Corsair H100. Don't want to mess things up since doing it myself and they are quite expensive so I am looking for a complete kit along those lines.

There is no point of watercooling any E5 xeons, this is because they already run pretty cool by themselves. A simple heatsink, like a 92mm noctua will do everything you need. In fact, you can't even overclock the E5 series so there is no point!

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012

Actually, that's not true. If you look at some of the testing and benchmarks you will see where several have written about how hot Xeon processors get, despite no overclocking. When you are using the full cores at or near 100% CPU capacity, they do heat up quite a lot. I have not seen anything to indicate otherwise. However, I am certainly willing to look at any articles you suggest about the matter. At the very least, I want water cooling just to be on the safe side for such an expense.

I understand Op, its not so much a need as a desire to W/c here, I'm fine with that, but check out the W/c sticky up top, have a read through and ask any questions you may have about anything,
for the price of two H100's you can build a decent loop that will outperform them, and we will help allay any fears you have, if you can build a Pc, you can figure out a W/c loop, it really isn't as scary as you'd think :)
Moto

russelllv

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

I have a pair of E5-2687W's mildly OC'd to 104% (they will do that on a ASUS Z9PE-D8 MB). See my benchmark posted yesterday on passmark.com, It's listed as #2 but the #1 rated system has some very suspicious numbers to arrive at that score. I'm confident I have posted the #1 Score. At any rate, it's the fastest CPU score out there. They are installed in a Lian Li PC-A70F case w/ all Noctua PWM fans (2x140's & 1x120 in front & 2x120's in back). Cooled by a pair of Noctua NH-C14's also w/ 2x140 PWM fans each. All fans are PWM as the ASUS MB requires them for active speed control. With a ambient temp of 25C, they will run any torture test (Prime95, IBT etc.) all day long and never exceed 75C. This setup is virtually silent when not at max load, and is still very quiet even when the fans do ramp up when pushed. Runs cool and will never leak or have the notorious Corsair pump noise...