Increase Volume on Windows XP (software?)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 1:16:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

Hello,

I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP (home). When I play
certain DVDs, the volume is unusually low (as is the case with DVD's
even when you play them on a normal player on your television -- at
least from my experience). I've increased the volume all the way up
in the built in 'Master Volume' function Windows has, and increased
the speaker volume all the way up from the 'Sound' section of the
control panel, yet it is still not very loud when I play DVDs. I know
the speakers can handle louder audio because when I play normal files
(i.e. mp3's), it plays at a reasonable volume.

Question is, is there any way to increase the volume above the level
Windows has set as the top level? I thought I might be able to find
some software that would have this function but was unable to. Or is
the only solution to buy some speakers to plug into the laptop's audio
port that will play the audio louder?

Thanks in advance...
July 11, 2004 8:47:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

Make sure your external volume control on the front of the laptop is turned
up. Expand the volume control applet and ensure the wav level is
appropriate.
Terry

"Juggo" <juggo@insidehoops.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP (home). When I play
> certain DVDs, the volume is unusually low (as is the case with DVD's
> even when you play them on a normal player on your television -- at
> least from my experience). I've increased the volume all the way up
> in the built in 'Master Volume' function Windows has, and increased
> the speaker volume all the way up from the 'Sound' section of the
> control panel, yet it is still not very loud when I play DVDs. I know
> the speakers can handle louder audio because when I play normal files
> (i.e. mp3's), it plays at a reasonable volume.
>
> Question is, is there any way to increase the volume above the level
> Windows has set as the top level? I thought I might be able to find
> some software that would have this function but was unable to. Or is
> the only solution to buy some speakers to plug into the laptop's audio
> port that will play the audio louder?
>
> Thanks in advance...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 9:08:07 AM

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in news:%D3Ic.16364$Rf.13173@edtnps84:

> Make sure your external volume control on the front of the laptop is
> turned up. Expand the volume control applet and ensure the wav level
> is appropriate.

Yep, I've checked both of those of course.

The volume control on the outside is turned all the way up as is the wave
volume on the 'Master Volume' control (all of them are turned up to the
maximum level in fact).

regards
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 10:18:56 AM

Juggo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP (home). When I play
> certain DVDs, the volume is unusually low (as is the case with DVD's
> even when you play them on a normal player on your television -- at
> least from my experience). I've increased the volume all the way up
> in the built in 'Master Volume' function Windows has, and increased
> the speaker volume all the way up from the 'Sound' section of the
> control panel, yet it is still not very loud when I play DVDs. I know
> the speakers can handle louder audio because when I play normal files
> (i.e. mp3's), it plays at a reasonable volume.
>
> Question is, is there any way to increase the volume above the level
> Windows has set as the top level? I thought I might be able to find
> some software that would have this function but was unable to. Or is
> the only solution to buy some speakers to plug into the laptop's audio
> port that will play the audio louder?
>
> Thanks in advance...

Your DVD software may have it's own volume control. And/or, check the
Windows Volume Control and make sure (Options --> Properties) to make sure
the WAV volume is showing. It may be low, or your DVD software may be
setting it low while it's running.

--
Mr. Gray
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

juggo <juggo@nospam.punkass.com> wrote in

> "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in
>

>> Make sure your external volume control on the front of the laptop is
>> turned up. Expand the volume control applet and ensure the wav level
>> is appropriate.
>>

> Yep, I've checked both of those of course.
>
> The volume control on the outside is turned all the way up as is the
> wave volume on the 'Master Volume' control (all of them are turned up
> to the maximum level in fact).
>
> regards

I had this problem. It's usually the DVD playing software. The DVD usually
has two or 3 different audio tracks. One will have the commentary track but
there are usually two audio tracks. One of them is much louder than the
other. About half the DVDs I play usually auto select the track with the
low volume. You can usually select another track (the much louder one).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 4:07:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

red ted <red_ted@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I had this problem. It's usually the DVD playing software. The DVD
> usually has two or 3 different audio tracks. One will have the
> commentary track but there are usually two audio tracks. One of them
> is much louder than the other. About half the DVDs I play usually auto
> select the track with the low volume. You can usually select another
> track (the much louder one).

By the way, you can change it in the audio menu of the DVD s/w you use to
play the disk.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 6:36:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

First of all, most Toshiba laptops have a volume control KNOB on them
that many users don't even know exists. Have you turned that knob up
all the way? It's usually located next to the headphone and microphone
jack.

Juggo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP (home). When I play
> certain DVDs, the volume is unusually low (as is the case with DVD's
> even when you play them on a normal player on your television -- at
> least from my experience). I've increased the volume all the way up
> in the built in 'Master Volume' function Windows has, and increased
> the speaker volume all the way up from the 'Sound' section of the
> control panel, yet it is still not very loud when I play DVDs. I know
> the speakers can handle louder audio because when I play normal files
> (i.e. mp3's), it plays at a reasonable volume.
>
> Question is, is there any way to increase the volume above the level
> Windows has set as the top level? I thought I might be able to find
> some software that would have this function but was unable to. Or is
> the only solution to buy some speakers to plug into the laptop's audio
> port that will play the audio louder?
>
> Thanks in advance...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 6:40:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

In that case, there's nothing that you can easily do, the DVD was just
recorded low. [not unusual, for cds or dvds. I have the CD of "Back to
Titanic", a 2nd "soundtrack" album from the movie Titanic, and on some
songs the PEAK level is less than 20%, the peak level of the entire CD
is only about 60%].

If you were fanatic about it and wanted to take drastic measures, you
could "rip" the CD, then reprocess the audio track to "normalize" it,
bringing the peak level to 100% and everything else up accordingly. It
would be a LOT of trouble. It's also possible that the peak level is
100%, and that everything else is just dramatically (but
correspondingly) lower. This can happen if the peak level occurs during
an explosion or some other momentary but extremely loud event, and the
audio processing was sloppy.

juggo wrote:

> "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in news:%D3Ic.16364$Rf.13173@edtnps84:
>

>>Make sure your external volume control on the front of the laptop is
>>turned up. Expand the volume control applet and ensure the wav level
>>is appropriate.
>>

> Yep, I've checked both of those of course.
>
> The volume control on the outside is turned all the way up as is the wave
> volume on the 'Master Volume' control (all of them are turned up to the
> maximum level in fact).
>
> regards
July 11, 2004 10:20:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

"Juggo" <juggo@insidehoops.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP (home). When I play
> certain DVDs, the volume is unusually low (as is the case with DVD's
> even when you play them on a normal player on your television -- at
> least from my experience). I've increased the volume all the way up
> in the built in 'Master Volume' function Windows has, and increased
> the speaker volume all the way up from the 'Sound' section of the
> control panel, yet it is still not very loud when I play DVDs. I know
> the speakers can handle louder audio because when I play normal files
> (i.e. mp3's), it plays at a reasonable volume.
>
> Question is, is there any way to increase the volume above the level
> Windows has set as the top level? I thought I might be able to find
> some software that would have this function but was unable to. Or is
> the only solution to buy some speakers to plug into the laptop's audio
> port that will play the audio louder?
>
> Thanks in advance...

Juggo

Check to see if your e sound is not set to 5.1, this may give you the left
and right front channels only! not the centre front, left back, right back
and sub channels.

Try setting the sound chipset to Stereo 'Desktop Speakers' or 'Headphones'
the likelyhood is that the c,lr,rr & sub channels will then be 'mixed' into
the lf and lr channels so you get 'all' the sound.

Where these settings are depends on your sound chipset.

Cheers
Paul.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2004 8:57:29 AM

Barry Watzman wrote:

> In that case, there's nothing that you can easily do, the DVD was just
> recorded low. [not unusual, for cds or dvds. I have the CD of "Back to
> Titanic", a 2nd "soundtrack" album from the movie Titanic, and on some
> songs the PEAK level is less than 20%, the peak level of the entire CD
> is only about 60%].
>
> If you were fanatic about it and wanted to take drastic measures, you
> could "rip" the CD, then reprocess the audio track to "normalize" it,
> bringing the peak level to 100% and everything else up accordingly. It
> would be a LOT of trouble. It's also possible that the peak level is
> 100%, and that everything else is just dramatically (but
> correspondingly) lower. This can happen if the peak level occurs during
> an explosion or some other momentary but extremely loud event, and the
> audio processing was sloppy.

This is a very fine and picky technical exposition/discussion, so if such
things make you yawn you can safely skip it. <g>

The low recorded level may be the result of aesthetic preference influencing
technical practice.

Some engineers prefer to record sounds at their "natural" level--that is,
the loudness of the recorded sound matches the loudness the sound would be
if it were heard in the wild. There is no background noise such as tape
hiss, phonograph record surface noise, etc. in the modern digital recording
process[1] (as oppposed to background noise in the recorded "sound space,"
which some would argue is just as much a part of the music as the
instrumental sounds), and the available dynamic range of DVDs (and of CDs)
approaches that of human hearing; both of these make this "natural"
approach to recording possible and are considered by some engineers and
producers to be compelling arguments for its use. The idea is that if one
sets the volume control on one's playback system such that a sound recorded
at the 100% peak level of the recording process results in a played back
sound at the maximum level one's playback system is capable of (ideally,
the same level as the recorded sound and, basically, the threshold of pain
and damn the neighbors or the glassware) and you never vary that setting,
the argument is that you are hearing the sounds at their natural and proper
level, and any variance from that is considered a distortion of the
original sound.

The other approach--and that used in the days of more primitive equipment
with a much narrower dynamic range--is to make test recordings to determine
the maximum level that whatever is being recorded will produce, set the
equipment such that that this loudest sound causes the equipment to
register the maximum level permitted by the system (or maybe a little less,
to provide a fudge factor in case something is unexpectedly louder), and
leave that setting in place for the duration of the recording session.
"Riding gain"--continually twiddling the recording level to compensate for
variations in the loudness of what's being recorded--is a no-no because it
distorts the dynamic range, although it often used to be necessary because
the older equipment could not accommodate the entire dynamic range and you
had to fudge in order to prevent over- or under-recording if a limiter was
not available. "Limiting" is a form of electronic signal processing which
compresses the dynamic range, and it was a common and (some argued)
essential part of making phonograph records and in live radio/TV pickups:
it boosts the level of the softest passages so they can be heard above the
background noise, while at the same time reducing the level of the loudest
passages so they don't overload the system. Limiting is still used for
special effects, particularly in pop material.

Now about "normalization": that can be good or bad, depending on the
algorithm used. Some normalizers are basically "volume expanders," or
limiters turned backward; they stretch the dynamic range of the material.
The softest sounds in the original remain soft, at their original level,
while the level of the loudest sounds is raised to (or close to) the peak
level permitted by the recording process, and that which lies in between is
raised in level proportionately. This, to me, is a significant distortion
of the original recorded sound. Not only is it quite likely that the
original recording didn't sound at all like that (and in some cases it is
quite obvious and even unsettling), and in extreme cases you might have to
turn the volume up to hear the softer parts of something, then turn it back
down to keep your ears from being blasted out when a peak occurs. Other
normalizers simply raise the level of the entire selection as a block by
the amount required to get the loudest sound to the peak level of the
process, without tampering with the dynamic range. To my mind this is the
right way of doing it, although if it's an older analog recording, there's
the possibility it might raise the level of the original background noise
to the point that it would be distracting ... but then, it probably was
already.

While I agree with the aesthetic basis underlying "natural" technique--to a
point, at least--it's still a pain in the ass when you're going back and
forth from one recording to another (doing a radio show or an audio
collage, for example) and have to keep twiddling the levels so that
everything sounds about the same level. And, of course, it will always be
this way, since older recordings were made such that their loudest sound
matched the peak level of the available process, lest the softest sounds be
lost in the background hash.

And The Moral Is: Nothing's perfect.

[1] Slight caveat: yes, there is still the slight hiss produced by the
random quantum motion of electrons in the connecting wiring and which you
can hear if you crank your stereo up really loud, particularly on low-level
inputs such as those used for microphones and magnetic phonograph
cartridges.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

That's extremely interesting, Gary - thanks.

A couple of questions:

1. While there may be virtually no noise in digital media - if the
sounds are stored at low levels, doesn't this reduce the range of
intensity that is covered by a particular sound, and therefore reduce
the accuracy it is recorded at? I.e. if a sound was recorded to make
use of the entire range, then for every moment in time it can use any
of the 16 bits (not sure if this is right), but if it is recorded, say
at half the volume, it can only effectively make use of 15 bits.
Presumably you must get to a quiet level that can only use 1 bit - and
then the signal must be drowned in, (I think they're called),
quantisation artefacts.

2. Back to the thread - is it possible that DVDs are recorded the two
ways you mentioned (normalised and actual dB), as someone earlier in
the thread has suggested?

Duncan.

"Gary G. Taylor" <knotgary@knotdonavan.org> wrote:
snip...
> Some engineers prefer to record sounds at their "natural" level--that is,
> the loudness of the recorded sound matches the loudness the sound would be
> if it were heard in the wild. There is no background noise such as tape
> hiss, phonograph record surface noise, etc. in the modern digital recording
> process[1] (as oppposed to background noise in the recorded "sound space,"
> which some would argue is just as much a part of the music as the
> instrumental sounds), and the available dynamic range of DVDs (and of CDs)
> approaches that of human hearing; both of these make this "natural"
> approach to recording possible and are considered by some engineers and
> producers to be compelling arguments for its use. The idea is that if one
> sets the volume control on one's playback system such that a sound recorded
> at the 100% peak level of the recording process results in a played back
> sound at the maximum level one's playback system is capable of (ideally,
> the same level as the recorded sound and, basically, the threshold of pain
> and damn the neighbors or the glassware) and you never vary that setting,
> the argument is that you are hearing the sounds at their natural and proper
> level, and any variance from that is considered a distortion of the
> original sound.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2004 12:22:45 PM

Gary G. Taylor wrote:

> This is a very fine and picky technical exposition/discussion, so if
> such things make you yawn you can safely skip it. <g>

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 1:39:42 AM

> red ted <red_ted@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I had this problem. It's usually the DVD playing software. The DVD
>> usually has two or 3 different audio tracks. One will have the
>> commentary track but there are usually two audio tracks. One of them
>> is much louder than the other. About half the DVDs I play usually
>> auto select the track with the low volume. You can usually select
>> another track (the much louder one).
>
> By the way, you can change it in the audio menu of the DVD s/w you use
> to play the disk.

Thanks red ted,

That probably explains the problem and is the only actual solution, other
than (as someone else brought up) ripped the DVD and then increasing the
audio manually -- which is too much trouble.

I was really just hoping someone knew of a program that was like a suped-
up version of Windows' Master Volume applet, where instead of increasing
the volume to '100%' I could go to '200%' But I'll give this a try and
mess around with the actual DVD software (I usually use PowerDVD or
WinDVD but this particular time I was using the built-in DVD player
software -- it was the 'Meet the Parents' DVD)

regards,

juggo
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 12:49:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

>Question is, is there any way to increase the volume above the level
>Windows has set as the top level?

Sure. You're using the AC3 codec and just need the little panel that
allows gain.
http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 1:12:49 PM

Duncan James Murray wrote:

> That's extremely interesting, Gary - thanks.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1. While there may be virtually no noise in digital media - if the
> sounds are stored at low levels, doesn't this reduce the range of
> intensity that is covered by a particular sound, and therefore reduce
> the accuracy it is recorded at? I.e. if a sound was recorded to make
> use of the entire range, then for every moment in time it can use any
> of the 16 bits (not sure if this is right), but if it is recorded, say
> at half the volume, it can only effectively make use of 15 bits.
> Presumably you must get to a quiet level that can only use 1 bit - and
> then the signal must be drowned in, (I think they're called),
> quantisation artefacts.

I think I see your question: If the material's recorded at a level
sufficient to hit the peak level of the recorder, does it use more bits to
represent it? No. While it is true that the sound will occupy the entire
dynamic range of the recording medium, the softest sound will still be the
same relative distance (level-wise) from the loudest, only instead of being
at the "floor" of the audible range it will be somewhere above that. The
overall dynamic range of the recorded material will still be the same.
Quantization artifacts do occur but newer techniques have been developed to
minimize them and, I believe in the newer 128K samples, they are absent.

> 2. Back to the thread - is it possible that DVDs are recorded the two
> ways you mentioned (normalised and actual dB), as someone earlier in
> the thread has suggested?

Most pop and rock music is highly compressed (not normalized); in some cases
the overall dynamic range of an entire cut may be only 5 dB or so. As a
case in point (although this is an older recording, the practice hasn't
varied that much since), look at Eric Burdon's recording of "House of the
Rising Sun" on a visual display. In places where he sings very loudly, the
recorded level will slightly decrease because he's exceeded the limiter's
maximum level setting and the limiter squashes it down (actually,
overcompensates slightly) to prevent over-recording. Otherwise, the overall
dynamic range of the cut is very narrow; viewed on an old style analog VU
meter, the needle appears to stay at about the same place all the way
through.

If you ask "Are the recordings normalized," you're just asking if the peak
level on them has been adjusted so as to be near the peak level of the
recording process; that says nothing about whether the original recording
was compressed. A person with experience listening to recorded material can
easily tell if compression or expansion has been used in the recording;
most people can't hear it unless the compression/expansion has been
overdone, perhaps intentionally for special effect.

Since older analog recordings are compressed as a matter of course they'll
still be compressed when transferred to digital media, although there are
cases where attempts have been made to stretch the range--with varying
success. The only way of telling whether that had been done would be to do
an A-B comparison between the original (probably vinyl) and the CD
transfer, and to compare the two aurally and on a visual display. If there
was any modification, it would be obvious.

But bear in mind that the amount of expansion might be very little. Consider
a symphony recording by a full orchestra. The dynamic range of a symphony
orchestra can approach the full range of human hearing (roughly 110-120dB);
this would have to be compressed down to the 70-80dB or so capability of
vinyl analog recordings. Now, where in the dynamic range was that
compression done? Were the lower-level sounds increased in level, were the
higher-level sounds "clipped" so they did not exceed the maximum, or was
some combination of the two techniques used? If the lower level material
was raised but the peak level stuff left alone, the expansion could cover
just that lower level, would not be that great, and would probably be not
that audible without careful A-B examination. On the other hand, if the
higher level material was clipped (the usual case and often very audible,
especially in 78rpm recordings) it would be very obvious in the original
recording, and attempting to expand it would be difficult because there is
nothing in the compressed recording to indicate how much and where the
clipped peaks should be increased in level. The expanded version of this
recording would therefore sound artificial. An exception to this would
occur if the transferring engineer was familiar with the piece--especially
if s/he happened to be the engineer at the original session--and was able
to manually adjust the range; that might end up sounding rather well,
depending on the engineer's skill.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

"Juggo" <juggo@insidehoops.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP (home). When I play
> certain DVDs, the volume is unusually low (as is the case with DVD's
> even when you play them on a normal player on your television -- at
> least from my experience). I've increased the volume all the way up
> in the built in 'Master Volume' function Windows has, and increased
> the speaker volume all the way up from the 'Sound' section of the
> control panel, yet it is still not very loud when I play DVDs. I know
> the speakers can handle louder audio because when I play normal files
> (i.e. mp3's), it plays at a reasonable volume.
>
> Question is, is there any way to increase the volume above the level
> Windows has set as the top level? I thought I might be able to find
> some software that would have this function but was unable to. Or is
> the only solution to buy some speakers to plug into the laptop's audio
> port that will play the audio louder?
>
> Thanks in advance...

Yes... it's named AC97mix but it only support a few audio cards...
Search for it on google.
November 18, 2009 4:04:51 AM

download dfx audio enhancer.
!