Connection Wizard - can't make dial up connection

When going to set up a network connection via dial-up the modem and PPPoE
options are greyed out (dimmed). I saw note referencing tech note:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320558

I tried method 1 in this and that didn't work. Method 2 involves doing an
inline reinstall of Windows XP. Before I take that step, I was wondering if
anybody knows of a solution that does not involve reinstalling the OS.

Thanks

Andrew Cohen <AndrewCohen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When going to set up a network connection via dial-up the modem and PPPoE
>options are greyed out (dimmed). I saw note referencing tech note:

Make sure that all necessary services are started in the Control Panel

--
(tm)

Could you tell me specifically which services I should check to make sure
they're running? Thanks