lobos_36

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hi, I purchased Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard(non-wifi), scoket 775.
System has a Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 2.93GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W processor, 4x 1Gb Hynix 667Mhz RAM SIMM's, 1x SATA + 1x PATA Hard drives, 1x SATA + 1x PATA Dvd burners, 1x video card GV-N210D2-1GI, a ENERMAX 535W WHISPER II ATX SLI PSU.
When I turn the system on and press the power button the lights and fans come on for a second then the system resets it's self and this keeps happening over and over. This is all I have being able to get out of the computer.
I have made sure the CPU is compatible with the motherboard and that there are no extra "stand-offs" under the board. I have tried it with and without the memory SIMM's in place, with the reset-switch in place and removed. Both the 24 and 8 pin power connectors are in place and I know the PSU is a good one as it was working before I changed the motherboard.
Any information/insight you may be able to provide would be most welcome.

Solution
Can't say that I've seen this problem before, but the only things that I know that can cause a CPU to shutdown are heat, more heat, and a shitload of heat. That being said, make sure that:

1. the CPU doesn't have any thermal paste on on the pins or in the sockets
2. the CPU doesn't have too much (or too little) thermal paste
3. the heatsink isn't warped
4. the heatsink is fitting snugly over the CPU

Lastly, make sure that there aren't any shorts. If you have to, yank out the mobo and do a breadboard.
Can't say that I've seen this problem before, but the only things that I know that can cause a CPU to shutdown are heat, more heat, and a shitload of heat. That being said, make sure that:

1. the CPU doesn't have any thermal paste on on the pins or in the sockets
2. the CPU doesn't have too much (or too little) thermal paste
3. the heatsink isn't warped
4. the heatsink is fitting snugly over the CPU

Lastly, make sure that there aren't any shorts. If you have to, yank out the mobo and do a breadboard.

Solution