Sign in with
Your question

3570k overclocking issues

Last response: in Overclocking
June 25, 2012 6:23:20 AM

Hi everyone, I just completed my build a few days ago and am having some slight overclocking issues. I keep getting to where I think it's stable, but I keep having a problem that games(and sometimes prime95) will just stop and dump me back to the desktop. There is no error message, no lag or freeze up, nothing, just dumped back to desktop with everything working fine. Sometimes I can run prime for 8 hrs and it won't do it, sometimes I can play a game for an hour and it won't do it(games seem to cause the issue faster). Voltage seems to have no impact, only way I can get it to stop is to run between stock and 4.2Ghz. Anything past that and it does it. I don't know if I am missing something in the BIOS or what the deal is, I have tried disabling and enabling pll overvoltage, I have tried various llc and offset voltage settings(never go past 1.35v loaded). My temps are excellent, better than I expected with this cpu, at 4.5Ghz and 1.325v I never get past 75c. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, maybe I'm just an idiot.

i5 3570k
Hyper 212+(push/pull)
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
Gskill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 8GB(2x4)
EVGA GTX 570
Sandisk Extreme SSD 120GB(boot)
Seagate 500GB(storage)
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800w PSU
CM Storm Enforcer Case

More about : 3570k overclocking issues

June 25, 2012 6:53:39 AM

I saw you said your cpu doesn't go past 75c. 75c seems a bit high to me. Did you try overclocking at 4.3-4.4? See if you get temps below 75 and see what happens at a temp around 65-70.

Experiment with the temps a bit. See what the max temp your cpu gets to where it doesn't give you problems. I don't think a hyper 212 is good enough for a 4.5, I am not sure though.
June 25, 2012 7:03:28 AM

I have seen many others stable hitting in the mid 80's running prime, and when I say never goes past 75, that's all the higher it creeps up to running prime for hours on end, usually hovers right at 70, 4.4 drops it a couple degrees, 4.2 drops it to right at 60c running prime. But really I don't think temp is the issue as I have seen many others stable hitting much higher temps.
Related resources
June 25, 2012 7:05:30 AM

If you are on 4.4, do you still have problems?
June 25, 2012 7:07:52 AM

This is a weird problem. Never seen any problem like this. When programs kick you to desktop, I just re-install windows and things get better again because I don't feel like putting in time to find the source of the problem, but that of course is when it's not a hardware issue.

We'll see what others think. But give 4.4 a try and tell me what happens.
June 25, 2012 7:08:26 AM

Yes, problem doesn't go away til I get all the way down to 4.2.
June 25, 2012 7:10:16 AM

Initially what I did when I couldn't get it stable at 4.5 was leave the voltage alone and drop it to 4.4, ran prime for 8 hrs like that, then went to play a game and it crashed to desktop 3 times in an hour.
June 25, 2012 7:11:28 AM

ithar87 said:
Initially what I did when I couldn't get it stable at 4.5 was leave the voltage alone and drop it to 4.4, ran prime for 8 hrs like that, then went to play a game and it crashed to desktop 3 times in an hour.

Was the game still running in the background or would it go too?
June 25, 2012 7:13:00 AM

No, that's what I mean, program shuts off like a light and leaves me idling at desktop.
June 25, 2012 7:18:38 AM

ithar87 said:
No, that's what I mean, program shuts off like a light and leaves me idling at desktop.

I never seen anything like that. Graphics card drivers fully updated yes? Did you try playing another game and seeing if it happens again?
June 25, 2012 7:21:19 AM

Yep, running latest Nvidia drivers, have done mobo bios update, and have gotten the problem running Batman Arkham City, SWTOR, and World of Tanks.
June 25, 2012 7:26:51 AM

Did you try overclocking before the bios update? This looks like some driver issue to me.
June 25, 2012 7:50:07 AM

Well like I said before, it appears completely stable, can even run prime for hours without a problem, but if I run anything else I can have problems. Right now for example, I can fire up and run prime for quite some time(haven't had hours to test), but if I try to launch Batman Arkham City and run benchmark test it will instantly crash, or I can play another game and play for a period of time(maybe 15-30 minutes), and have the issue where it dumps me back to desktop with no error message or anything. As far as voltage I am already at higher voltage than should be necessary, my understanding is that with ivy bridge you don't really want to run it past 1.35 24/7, and definitely not past 1.4, I have had it all the way up to the 1.35 mark at 4.4 and the problem was still there, yet it behaves exactly the same at 1.3.
June 25, 2012 8:00:22 AM

ithar87 said:
Well like I said before, it appears completely stable, can even run prime for hours without a problem, but if I run anything else I can have problems. Right now for example, I can fire up and run prime for quite some time(haven't had hours to test), but if I try to launch Batman Arkham City and run benchmark test it will instantly crash, or I can play another game and play for a period of time(maybe 15-30 minutes), and have the issue where it dumps me back to desktop with no error message or anything. As far as voltage I am already at higher voltage than should be necessary, my understanding is that with ivy bridge you don't really want to run it past 1.35 24/7, and definitely not past 1.4, I have had it all the way up to the 1.35 mark at 4.4 and the problem was still there, yet it behaves exactly the same at 1.3.

That guy is crashed after 14 hours, you crash at 8 hours of prime. I think you should try raising the voltage and trying again. Another guy in the forums set his i5 3570k at 1.48 volts. Runs perfect at 4.5 Ghz.

which voltage are you talking about? vram, core?

set your VCore to 1.2ish and see what happens.

You have a beautiful mobo. Do you have the auto OC settings in your bios? For example you select 4.0 or 4.5 Ghz overclock options and the motherboard adjusts all settings for you.
June 25, 2012 8:04:24 AM

This could just be a limitation of your chip, not all are made equal etc etc. 4.2 is a respectable OC considering the IPC improvements on sandy bridge. Maybe call it a day and stick with that, or try some more aggressive (water) cooling.
June 25, 2012 8:08:03 AM

joedjnpc said:
This could just be a limitation of your chip, not all are made equal etc etc. 4.2 is a respectable OC considering the IPC improvements on sandy bridge. Maybe call it a day and stick with that, or try some more aggressive (water) cooling.

Might be a limitation of his chip. I think he should get similar OC settings from someone else and try.
June 25, 2012 8:09:23 AM

Yes, core voltage, I have been using an offset and llc, so the voltage numbers I gave are loaded with prime and according to cpuz. There are people running 1.25v to get a 4.5oc with these chips, 1.48 seems much much too high. I will try 1.4 and see if it helps. But I am not comfortable running anywhere close to 1.5. Also the biggest reason I don't think it's lack of voltage is that I can run prime at just under 1.3v at 4.5Ghz, and no other program should take as much to run. My prime crashes are inconsistent, and aren't typical for prime either, they are just "Prime95 has stopped working" don't get an error, or bsod like you usually get running prime.
June 25, 2012 8:12:50 AM

ithar87 said:
Yes, core voltage, I have been using an offset and llc, so the voltage numbers I gave are loaded with prime and according to cpuz. There are people running 1.25v to get a 4.5oc with these chips, 1.48 seems much much too high. I will try 1.4 and see if it helps. But I am not comfortable running anywhere close to 1.5. Also the biggest reason I don't think it's lack of voltage is that I can run prime at just under 1.3v at 4.5Ghz, and no other program should take as much to run. My prime crashes are inconsistent, and aren't typical for prime either, they are just "Prime95 has stopped working" don't get an error, or bsod like you usually get running prime.

try 1.25 and see what you get. forget the 1.4-1.5.

Edit: use your event viewer and see what errors you have in the history.
June 25, 2012 8:26:00 AM

Don't know if this will be a help or not, but the Ivy Bridge CPU's, when overclocked, were stated to have temps exceeding the last gen SANDY bridge CPUs. I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if heat was an issue but just a little heads up.
June 25, 2012 8:37:44 AM

He has descent temps, he's fine with heating issues.
June 25, 2012 10:39:53 PM

Spent some time on overclock.net, even got someone else's exact setting and still have same issue, prime stable for as long as you want, but programs crash. End up sitting at desktop idling with no error message, just like was happening before.
June 26, 2012 9:24:13 AM

ithar87 said:
Spent some time on overclock.net, even got someone else's exact setting and still have same issue, prime stable for as long as you want, but programs crash. End up sitting at desktop idling with no error message, just like was happening before.

What did overclock.net say? We can put this problem between 2 parts. cpu and mobo. Contact both manufacturers, or visit their forums.
!