Sign in with
Your question

Worth getting another SSD for other storage other than OS?

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2011 6:17:57 PM

I recently got an OCZ agility 3 60GB SSD to put just my OS on. I see that there is a vertex3 120GB and a vertex3 60GB cheap on newegg and I'm wondering if it's worth buying another for applications. I know the OS gets the most benefits from an SSD, but would it be worth the money for using another SSD for applications?

More about : worth ssd storage

a c 290 G Storage
November 29, 2011 6:54:27 PM

What the veterans usually recommend is a 120GB solid state drive with Windows 7, software applications, utilities, and games installed. Data files and backups can be stored on a hard disk drive. The main reason for using a hard drive for data files and backups is cost savings.

In your case you could use your 60GB ssd instead of a hard drive for data files and backups. The choice is yours.
m
l
November 29, 2011 7:14:05 PM

You probably won't get a speed benefit from having data files on a ssd. 60GB is enough for Windows 7, all your apps, and probably 2-3 large games, though. You'll want to disable hibernate and move your paging file to your hdd. I also turn windows restore off, but if you want to keep that, see if you can move it to your hdd.

If nothing else, you can use the mklink command to create a symbolic link (like a shortcut for folders to another drive) from your ssd to the your hdd. I actually use this for Steam, since I want the app installed on my ssd, but I want the games installed on my hdd. And also for Origin, since my games folder is on my hdd (Origin let you choose where your games are installed, where Steam doesn't), but I want BF3 on my ssd.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 29, 2011 8:04:48 PM

For me the ideal solution is to put movies and other bulk data on an external USB HDD. That way I can turn it off when not needed which, in my case, is most of the time. Saves a lot of wear & tear. I have another USB for backup of my boot drive.
m
l
November 29, 2011 8:25:19 PM

Would it be helpful to have two SSD for doing things that are data intensive like extracting RAR and ZIP files?

I know a huge benefit of SSD is they can read and write at the same time much faster than HDDs but how much improvement is there with two SSDs?
m
l
November 29, 2011 9:38:51 PM

fmullegun said:
Would it be helpful to have two SSD for doing things that are data intensive like extracting RAR and ZIP files?

I know a huge benefit of SSD is they can read and write at the same time much faster than HDDs but how much improvement is there with two SSDs?

That's a good question. I think you would see improvement extracting a file on a SSD compared to a HDD, but I don't think it would be worth the cost. An alternative would be getting an extra 8GB (or whatever you need) of RAM and setting up a RAMdisk to serve as a download and extracting drive. Then you could download to that drive, extract it there without it moving, and finally move it to storage when it's complete. It wold be faster, but then you still have the slow write times write to HDD. In either case, I don't think the seconds, or maybe 10s of seconds you save, is worth the cost.
m
l
!