Nishanwin7

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I have one desktop computer and one laptop with integrated graphics. But Fifa games runs smoother in my laptop with app. 384 mb total memory than my Desktop Pc with app. 1759 mb of total memory. I just updated my chipset in my desktop. Is there any solution to make my game FIFA 8 and FIFA 9 run smoother without graphics card..and also i want to upgrade my chipset as well.. please help me.

Solution
Your specs look good enough to handle both games. But since you are using an on board VGA, you likely can't take full advantage of some of the display settings. Take a look at these descriptions, change/reduce what you can, doing so should help improve your performance.

Screen Resolution
Increased screen resolution improves graphics quality by increasing the number of pixels displayed at once. This allows for sharper graphics details and decreased stair-step patterns on the edges of polygons. In most cases, the higher the screen resolution, the lower the frame rate for the game. 800x600 and 1024x768 are common screen resolutions for games. Lower resolution is good for network play, where the frame rate must stay high in order to...
First thing you're going to have to do is post your entire system (desktop) specs. We need to know what you have and what is holding you back. Know that RAM alone isn't always the cause for poor display. There are two basic types of games:

1. Ones that rely on RAM; and
2. Ones that rely on CPU and RAM

Also worth considering is the threading of the game(s). Single threaded games/apps do not make use of a multi-core CPU; whereas a multi-threaded game/app will take full advantage of multi-core CPU. What this means is if your motherboard and apps can support a multi-core processor (CPU), you'll see a significant difference in performance, with or without a video card.

Next in line for discussion is the GPU, or graphics/video card. Considering that you're looking for ways to improve performance w/o a graphics card, i'm assuming you don't have one. On board GPU will require adequate power/energy from the PSU (like everything else); however, with a graphics card, the video processing is done by the card, instead of the mobo chipset. Most of the new lines of GPU require at least one 6-pin auxillary PCI-E power cable connected to dedicate power to the card. This ensures that the GPU gets all the power it needs (provided that you have an adequate PSU).

As for the PSU - or power supply, this is equally important as any other component. Having enough current draw (Amps) to supply the demand from your devices (including motherboard chipsets) is crucial to smooth operation. You want to make sure that your PSU is powerful enough to support your components. This is determined by the output of each of your +12v rails. This online PSU calculator should help you figure out if you've got a strong enough PSU.

Lastly, system resources vs. system requirements. Given that you haven't posted your system specs, I'll assume that your system requirements are adequate enough to run FIFA 8/9, individually and alone. Meaning that if you are just "meeting" the minimum requirements, then you may lack the system resources to achieve the performance you desire.

Your specs look good enough to handle both games. But since you are using an on board VGA, you likely can't take full advantage of some of the display settings. Take a look at these descriptions, change/reduce what you can, doing so should help improve your performance.

Screen Resolution
Increased screen resolution improves graphics quality by increasing the number of pixels displayed at once. This allows for sharper graphics details and decreased stair-step patterns on the edges of polygons. In most cases, the higher the screen resolution, the lower the frame rate for the game. 800x600 and 1024x768 are common screen resolutions for games. Lower resolution is good for network play, where the frame rate must stay high in order to compete with other players.

Color Depth
Many games give the option to run in either 16-bit or 32-bit color depth. This refers to the amount of video memory that is required for each screen pixel. 32-bit color depth gives a larger range of colors to use, resulting in higher quality rendering. Due to the increased video memory bandwidth that is needed, 32-bit color will reduce the frame rate for the game. With some games, this can result in choppier performance.

Some games also allow setting the color depth of textures. 32-bit color can dramatically improve the appearance of textures and reduce artifacts, like dithering and banding. The improvement is especially visible when three or more textures are applied to a polygon. A small performance decrease may be seen with 32-bit color textures.

Texture Detail Level
This usually refers to how large or how many textures are used in the game. Large textures can take up a lot of video memory, but this can be alleviated by using texture compression, if supported by the game.

Mipmapping
Mipmapping is a method of improving graphics quality and performance by using different mipmap levels, or texture sizes, depending on how far a pixel is in the distance. Trilinear mipmapping further improves quality by smoothing the transition between mipmap levels. Anisotropic filtering further improves graphics quality by increasing the amount of detail that can be seen when textures are seen from certain angles.

Depth Buffer
The depth buffer (Z-buffer or W-buffer) is used in 3D games to determine whether pixels on one polygon are in front of the pixel on another polygon. A higher precision depth buffer, such as 24-bit, will prevent pixels from showing up in front of pixels that they should be behind. A 16-bit depth buffer gives higher performance due to a large reduction in video memory bandwidth.

Texture Compression
Texture compression is a method of reducing the amount of memory and memory bandwidth required for textures with a small reduction in visual quality. In certain games where a low-resolution texture is used for a large surface, like a sky image, significant color banding can be seen if texture compression is enabled. A combination of enabling texture compression and high texture detail can provide a good balance of quality and performance in many games.

Lighting Model
Common lighting models for games include lightmap and vertex lighting. Vertex lighting gives a fixed brightness for each corner of a polygon. The lightmap model add an extra texture, called a lightmap, on top of each polygon which gives the appearance of variation of light and dark levels across the polygon. Due to the extra texture pass required, the lightmap model usually gives lower framerate than vertex lighting, but gives a much richer look to games that use it. Both types of lighting are supported by all Intel chipsets with integrated graphics.

Anti-Aliasing
Anti-aliasing is used to reduce stair-step patterns on the edges of polygons in games. It gives a smoother, slightly blurred look to the edges. Full scene anti-aliasing accomplishes this by rendering each frame at a larger resolution, then scaling it down to fit the actual screen resolution. This can lower the frame rate by a large amount, while increasing quality by a small amount. Usually, increasing the screen resolution is a better tradeoff than turning on anti-aliasing. Anti-aliasing is only useful for games when a lot of extra graphics performance is available. Intel chipsets with integrated graphics do not support full scene anti-aliasing. Anti-aliased lines are supported in OpenGL* applications.

Solution
The most common difficulty is choosing between quality or performance. Your posts suggest that you're looking for better performance (speed), but contrary to belief, reducing the quality will improve speed. This is done by reducing the burden on the graphics processor.

In the case of on board video/graphics processors, you're quality and performance levels are already at a handicap. In most cases, games will have options that are best used with graphics card; even then the quality of the game may not even tickle the potential of a graphics card. Depending on the type of graphics card you install, the opposite could also be said; that is the card is still too weak for the game.

Performance is based on speed. The faster the communication between GPU, CPU, Memory Controllers, and RAM, the faster the frame rates will display (limited to the potential of the monitor).

Let's put it this way: If you have two lists, one showing 16 colors; the other 24. Which do you think will be more stressful on your hardware? Yes, the list with 24 colors.

In short, by reducing the quality (colors, blends, size, etc.), you reduce the stress load on your integrated graphics chip. Not to mention that the integrated chip shares power resources with the motherboard; whereas a graphics card can have dedicated power and processing.