Where do older Intel Xeon Processors Rate?

gerrym

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I'm in the market for a used computer and I'm having a heck of a time comparing processors. This computer has the Intel Xeon 3.0GHz 0F41 (EM64T) processor. It was released in 2004 and appears to be a power hog 103W TDP, but I'm trying to see where this rates with the current processors out there. I can't seem to find it in the processor comparison charts online. Here's the link to the processor http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=28016. Thanks.

Performance wise, it rates the same as a P4 541 as they both run at 3.2GHz. It's too old and too slow to be on the charts. It fells below the slowest CPU that's on the charts. It isn't suitable for gaming, but it's fine as a file server, for Internet browsing, etc. I have an HP server with a P4 541 and it's fine as a file server. I even have a VM running on it without problems.

gerrym

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks, so why are they still selling for $300+? Do the Xeon processors do anything particularly well or some special task they're suited for? Wondering why you always seem to find them on high-end workstations?