mkhoubiari

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Hi.
I would like to build a system for home use ( some gaming, picture, movie, and school stuff) which will be good for at least few years. could someone give me an idea on the components that I need to purches( such as cpu, motherboard, and...)?
thanks

Refer to the thread in my signature. We really need more info to do anything.

Depending on what you mean by "gaming," you could probably get away with spending $300-500 at Dell for their crap. You're not getting anything better by building your own until you get into the $600-700 (actual computer only) budget range, assuming you need an OS.

ares's build is good, until you reach the HDD and the case. Instead of a Western Digital harddrive, you should get a Samsung Spinpoint F3. These are the fastest drives available, and the cheapest. A 500 GB one will run $55, a 1 TB will cost $85.

You can do better on the case for cheaper. The Antec 300 Illusion is $35 cheaper, and one of the best low budget cases.

With the rest of ares's build, my changes will bring the cost to $815 with a 1 TB drive, $785 for a 500 GB.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

If the F3 is out of stock, the only logical alternative is the Seagate 7200.12. They have a bad name since the .11, but they made up for that with the excellent .12. Just like the Samsung, but unlike the WD, it uses 500GB platters resulting in far greater speed than any comparable WD can achieve.

ares1214

Splendid
he can get whatever he wants, but i have had 3 seagate drives, first one was doa, rma lasted 2 months, and one in a friends computer dies within 8 months of being built. i have a WD going strong for 2 years, and another one in an old build going on 6 years, samsung i have only heard goods things about, so i cant say much there.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Yes, Seagate screwed beyond imagination in the past, WD did great. Times change though. Seagate made a comeback and is now up there with WD and Samsung when it comes to reliability and is a close second in performance. WD's the distant third here, not Seagate (for now...)

ares1214

Splendid
once again, i hate to source newegg, but 17% of the people who bought the .12 i Tb edition gave it a 1 egg (which is by the way 80 people so it cant be all wrong) but go to the WD 1 TB and 7% of people (131 people) gave it 1 egg. so, even though half of those reviews mean nothing, i still wouldnt trust the seagate .12 or .11.

ares1214

Splendid
wow thats 3 threads that we are arguing over :lol: the .12 cant be much worse than the .11, so i would hope it got better. the 500 Gb platter system from seagate does give slightly better performance, (its hdd, nothing much can help) but it also gives it more suceptibility to faliure.

Regardless, the Samsung is the best one of the 3. There shouldn't even be an arguement here.

@ares: Seriously, stop using Newegg reviews to determine quality. Go look at the benchmarks and articles from professionals. You won't be offering bad advice, and might actually learn something...

ares1214

Splendid
i am not using newegg reviews to determine quality, and i said to take them lightly, and i am not offering bad advice. and we both new the samsung is better, but it was out of stock, so we were arguing if seagate has good quality, which i used my experiences to back up, and mentioned that on newegg, more people seemed to have problems with the seagate as well. i also was making an observation, and said to take it like a grain of sand, as newegg reviews dont mean that much.

Don't have time to find links. Might add them later, but you can just search for them on Newegg...

CPU: i5-750 $200 ($150 if you get it from a Microcenter)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P $185

RAM: G.Skill 2x2 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 $100

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB $55 (or 1 TB for $85)

PSU: OCZ SealthXStream 700W $80 with $25 rebate.

Optical: LG 22x SATA DVD Burner $28

Case: HAF 922 $100

GPU: HD 5770 $180

Totals roughly $1000.