Which RAM should I get?

Raoul Duke

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking to get some more RAM for my PC and was looking for some advice on which to purchase.

I've performed a system scan and it's recommended me a few options: http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=C4EB279A31D926C3#

I was looking at the 2Gb kits.

Am I better off paying out a bit extra for some extra oomph or would the difference be negligible?

Thanks!

The answer to your question is relative to these conditions:

1. OS architecture (32 or 64-bit?)
2. CPU Speed?
3. What is the computer used for ( gaming, office work, etc. List all)
4. Do you multitask?

If you have a 32-bit OS, you won't be able to use more than 3.75GB (3.0-3.5, typically) so upgrading with another 2GB kit may be a waste.

While the type of CPU isn't very necessary in determining RAM upgrades, knowing the speed will. For example, Multi Channel architecture was designed to address the bottlenecks that occur at the memory controller when the CPU speed is greater than the FSB speed.

Raoul Duke

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Howdy :)

1) 32 bit.

2) Intel Core 2 Duo 6400, 2.14Ghz

3) Pretty much everything - gaming/music/internetz etc

4) Yes, but only standard stuff.

ASUS P5LD2 SE Motherboard

Cheers!

Ok, your mobo supports DDR2 400-667 and Dual Channel. Since your OS is only 32-bit, stick with a 2GB kit with dual channel. However, if you can't find a dual channel kit, then slap in 3x1GB modules. I don't know of any quality UK sites, so I won't recommend any links.

Latest posts