Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Nikon d3000 slr, GTX295, Ati 5870, GTX285, or 5850?!?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2009 1:19:36 AM

What to get or what to do!?!?
a c 1401 U Graphics card
December 20, 2009 1:37:03 AM

The Nikon does not fit in your GPU slot!
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2009 1:42:21 AM

Lol is that a joke about the nikon? But it really depends on you, if you really like photograph get the nikon. Get a 5870 instead of a 295 old tech.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2009 9:36:58 PM

Eww Nikon, get a Canon Xsi, it's better.

Anyways for GPU's go for the Hd 5870 if your PSU/CPU/Memory can handle it.
m
l
December 20, 2009 9:45:06 PM

if u want the camera, go for that...but if ur talking video cards:
I'd go 5870 over the 295 and 5850 over the 285. If you have the money/ram/psu/cpu power for the 5870, it's better than the 5850 but if you are on any sort of budget stick with the 5850. The nvidia cards are old at this point and the radeon series seems to outperform its comparable nvidia card so id stay away from them.
m
l
December 21, 2009 12:16:55 AM

AsAnAtheist said:
Eww Nikon, get a Canon Xsi, it's better.

Anyways for GPU's go for the Hd 5870 if your PSU/CPU/Memory can handle it.

+1^
for both. Get a Cannon if youre in the market for a camera. from my experience they hold up much better. For the graphics card get a 5870 if you can afford it and your system will support it!
m
l

Best solution

December 21, 2009 12:25:32 AM

Im a photographer.
Get a D40 (and a 5850.)

More importantly, what lens will you get?
Cameras are more about optics than image sensors. A good lens today will increase in value. The 'do it all' lens for small format Nikons is the 18-200 VR. The 'I' and 'II' versions are the same so buy what costs less.

This lens came out in 2005. I pre ordered mine and paid retail $1,000. If i throw this lens away today (it still looks like new btw), it has cost me $200/year. My D700 on the other hand cost me $3800 and i expect to be rid of that after 3 years. Digital bodies come and go, lenses are a lasting.

Adorama has D40 with an 18-55 starting at ~$450USD

PS. Anyone who says Nikon or Canon is better is not an experienced photographer that has actually USED both. They are different, but just as good. I prefer Nikon for what i do, but i could get just as good results with Canon. At the moment im shooting quite a lot on a manual focus range finder made in 1971. And it looks better than a lot coming out of my D3 etc.

Its like Nv vs ATI. One will make more sense to you, but you don't go buy a new mobo just so u can run SLI cos Nv has a better card today.
December 21, 2009 12:31:47 AM

What to get or what to do? Get then Nikon and then play Crysis at 4000x1280! Wait... the other way around... lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 7:48:06 PM

mrmez said:
Im a photographer.
Get a D40 (and a 5850.)

Cameras are more about optics than image sensors. A good lens today will increase in value. The 'do it all' lens for small format Nikons is the 18-200 VR. The 'I' and 'II' versions are the same so buy what costs less.

This lens came out in 2005. I pre ordered mine and paid retail $1,000. If i throw this lens away today (it still looks like new btw), it has cost me $200/year. My D700 on the other hand cost me $3800 and i expect to be rid of that after 3 years. Digital bodies come and go, lenses are a lasting.

PS. Anyone who says Nikon or Canon is better is not an experienced photographer that has actually USED both. They are different, but just as good. I prefer Nikon for what i do, but i could get just as good results with Canon. At the moment im shooting quite a lot on a manual focus range finder made in 1971. And it looks better than a lot coming out of my D3 etc.

Its like Nv vs ATI. One will make more sense to you, but you don't go buy a new mobo just so u can run SLI cos Nv has a better card today.

I have a computer/photograph/classes business, I have tried both Nikon DSLR/SLR's as well a Canon DSLR/SLR's. I find Canons to be better. They're lenses included in teh Xsi are really good, now since we do studio photos we havent really thought of purchasing any long range lenses that some professionals might drop $1,000 on but the lens we have is great for in door photo shoots.

Image sensors matter more then optics, sorry to say. Optics are no good if your camera cannot capture a good image and processes properly. Why are you using range finder, taking outside scenarios? Also why are you using such an antique lens. There has been plenty of improvements in lens making in the past 10 years some which seriously are astounding such as focus lenses having a really good auto focus. I find using manual focus to be less effective in doors then the auto focus on the lens that comes with the XSi.

Anyways get whatever you want. Camera or HD 5870. You choose as it's a personal choice.
m
l
December 21, 2009 7:51:37 PM

Or... buy a gtx 295 from me for a little less than a 5870 and enjoy 5- 10% better performance and the joy of knowing you made yannifb happy :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2009 7:52:54 PM

I dont recommend buying a GTX 295 at the moment, two HD 5850's will knockout a GTX 295 and use less power. Not to mention youll have eyefinity for up to 3 monitors/dx 11.
m
l
December 22, 2009 8:42:53 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
I dont recommend buying a GTX 295 at the moment, two HD 5850's will knockout a GTX 295 and use less power. Not to mention youll have eyefinity for up to 3 monitors/dx 11.

Yeah but 2 5850s are like 600 USD and aren't being sold from me!
m
l
December 23, 2009 12:49:06 AM

I use what i do because i own tons of gear and have used it all.

Atm ive got:
Bodies: D3, 3xD700's, D90, D70, F6, F100, FA
Lenses: 200-400VR, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, 70-300VR, 24-70, 14-24, 18-200VR, 50mm 1.4, 50m 1.2, Tokina 11-16, 105VR. Plus a load of speedlights and other junk.

Even with all that gear i choose to use a $40 pocket camera from the 70's. Why? Sure that gear makes sense when you spend as much time behind the lens as i do, but at the end of the day unless you are heavily involved in fringe photography (like sports or low light), you don't really need anymore than a point and click.

As for studio portraits, your #1 item is of course lighting. I love Novatron strobes, but try using them in the field. After that id make sure i had a lens with defocus control. THe Nikon 135 DC F2 is perfect for studio. I believe Canon has a very good 135mm but without the bokeh control.

Again, whatever brand you choose you can't really go wrong. If you are a serious photographer you should spend a long time using both and find out what YOU like best.

I still like the idea of getting an cheaper SLR (D40/Rebel) AND a good gfx card, rather than getting just one :D 
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2009 4:38:09 PM

Every one has his own vision , see it to believe it xD
m
l
January 22, 2010 10:28:47 PM

Best answer selected by liquidsnake718.
m
l
January 22, 2010 10:34:21 PM

mrmez said:
Im a photographer.
Get a D40 (and a 5850.)

I already bought a 5850 and as to my question, yes now I know as I have tried out both types of GPU;s similar to what I asked if the Nikon is a good slr? I have the markII EOS, now I have the Ati card... for the first time in 6 generations I have had 5 previous Nvidia cards, I now see the difference. I like the bang for the buck play Ati has as the FPS and speen is faster than my older 9800gtx+ but still the Ati card feels cheap and in some apps like physics it just doesnt seem on par.... I will have to wait for the gf100 card(s) to see if it really was worth waiting that long....
m
l
January 23, 2010 9:11:13 PM

liquidsnake718 said:
I already bought a 5850 and as to my question, yes now I know as I have tried out both types of GPU;s similar to what I asked if the Nikon is a good slr? I have the markII EOS, now I have the Ati card... for the first time in 6 generations I have had 5 previous Nvidia cards, I now see the difference. I like the bang for the buck play Ati has as the FPS and speen is faster than my older 9800gtx+ but still the Ati card feels cheap and in some apps like physics it just doesnt seem on par.... I will have to wait for the gf100 card(s) to see if it really was worth waiting that long....

Feels cheap b/c it doesnt have physx..... :pfff: 
m
l
!