Sign in with
Your question

Cosmos S or Spedo Advance

Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2009 6:10:08 PM

Alright, it's my first time here and I'd like to say I value this website's reviews alot, therefore chosing it to answer my current doubt. Don't let price and looks take part in your answers, I'll be the judge of that.

I'm building a new gaming rig:

Asus P6T Deluxe
Intel i7 920 D0
ATI HD5970 (probably VaporX when it comes out)
Corsair Dominator Xms3 1600MHz DDR3 Tripple-channel 6GB Cas7
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Samsung F3 2x500GB RAID0
Corsair HX 850W

I'll be using a Corsair Hydro H50 Watercooler for the CPU, but accept your opinions about it.

Now my main question is: Which case should I go for? Thermaltake's Spedo Advance Package OR Coolermaster's Cosmos S?

My fears are:
- Cosmos touch button, I fear I might shutdown my computer by mistake, since I just need to touch it and not press it.
- Cosmos side panel has no window, I like to see my hardware.
- Cosmos side panel isnt easily detached as the Spedo's, due to cables.
- I'll be overclocking my CPU a little bit, not going to do full OC though.

Based on material quality, temperatures and other important aspects, which of these two cases should I choose? Spedo or Cosmos?

More about : cosmos spedo advance

December 21, 2009 1:10:04 AM

Hey, welcome to the forums! This question belongs in the Homebuilt section actually. Moving this there.
December 21, 2009 1:10:44 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Homebuilt Systems by R_manic
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2009 1:43:30 AM

I am not a fan of cases that depend on side fans for air flow. I prefer the intake to be low, in front, and the output to be high, rear. Something like the Antec 902 or 1200.

I like your mobo, ram, psu, cpu.

Consider deferring the sound card. Onboard HD sound is very good, and cpu usage is not an issue. You can always add a sound card later.

I would avoid liquid cooling. Any decent oem cooler will do the job for a good overclock, and won't leak.

Raid-0 does not gain you significant performance while gaming. A single 1tb drive should perform better and cost less.
December 21, 2009 2:03:09 AM

Thank you manic, for both the welcome message and for moving my post to the proper place.

Starting from below:

RAID0 gives a small boost in performance, no?

Well, H50 is a closed system, liquid cooling doesn't seem to be a problem. OEM might not be enough, I was thinking about a Noctua rather.

Onboard is very good but Sound Card is better, I have the money, so wouldn't it be preferable?

My problem here is not money, my problem would be choosing a good case, that I visually like. Don't know if the 5970 fits in the Antec 902 or 1200. Also, I have no problem with side fans, I don't keep my computer "boxed" and I like to see my hardware through a window. I have problems understanding how a case without a side fan can have a good aircooling for a powerful GPU like 5970.

My best regards!
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2009 2:26:42 AM

Boltzmann said:
Thank you manic, for both the welcome message and for moving my post to the proper place.

Starting from below:

RAID0 gives a small boost in performance, no?

Well, H50 is a closed system, liquid cooling doesn't seem to be a problem. OEM might not be enough, I was thinking about a Noctua rather.

Onboard is very good but Sound Card is better, I have the money, so wouldn't it be preferable?

My problem here is not money, my problem would be choosing a good case, that I visually like. Don't know if the 5970 fits in the Antec 902 or 1200. Also, I have no problem with side fans, I don't keep my computer "boxed" and I like to see my hardware through a window. I have problems understanding how a case without a side fan can have a good aircooling for a powerful GPU like 5970.

My best regards!

research raid-0 and gaming:
http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...

All closed systems can leak. for anything less than a record level overclock, a good cooler will do the job. Pick any of the top ten coolers from this roundup. Check the overclocking section:
http://www.frozencpu.com/resource/r24/Best_CPU_Cooler_P...
I like noctua, particularly for the fans they include.

Add on sound cards seem to have had troublesome driver issues in the past. Perhaps they are perfect now. It is simpler to use onboard sound, and I am suggesting that you try it first. If you are an audiophile with top end speakers, then ignore the suggestion.

Good cooling comes from sufficient unobstructed airflow. I think a side fan disrupts the natural flow by pushing the air aside. The Antec 902 and 1200 are the same case, except that the 1200 is taller which gives three front intake fans, and two rear output fans, Along with the 200mm fan on top.
I have the 902 and it fits the 5870 without a problem. The 5970 is about an inch longar at 11" or so. You could fit a 13" card in the case. The case does have a window, and place for a side input fan, but such a fan will impact some tall coolers. Your H50 would avoid that issue.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2009 2:29:41 AM

Well supposedly the graphics card is supposed to toss its own air out of the slot itself. I've never had one do it.

You picked the fastest 500 gig normal speed drive on the market for the raid, of course it will be faster. Maybe if you were talking about using a couple of ancient 160 gig drives, then that'd be different.

Soundcard wise, no. It's definitely gotten to the point where you're just spending money on nothing, kinda like that Killer network card. Not only that but if you ever use the HDMI on the graphics card, it will be the graphics card that handles the sound anyway.
December 21, 2009 2:57:50 AM

geofelt said:
research raid-0 and gaming:
http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...

All closed systems can leak. for anything less than a record level overclock, a good cooler will do the job. Pick any of the top ten coolers from this roundup. Check the overclocking section:
http://www.frozencpu.com/resource/r24/Best_CPU_Cooler_P...
I like noctua, particularly for the fans they include.

Add on sound cards seem to have had troublesome driver issues in the past. Perhaps they are perfect now. It is simpler to use onboard sound, and I am suggesting that you try it first. If you are an audiophile with top end speakers, then ignore the suggestion.

Good cooling comes from sufficient unobstructed airflow. I think a side fan disrupts the natural flow by pushing the air aside. The Antec 902 and 1200 are the same case, except that the 1200 is taller which gives three front intake fans, and two rear output fans, Along with the 200mm fan on top.
I have the 902 and it fits the 5870 without a problem. The 5970 is about an inch longar at 11" or so. You could fit a 13" card in the case. The case does have a window, and place for a side input fan, but such a fan will impact some tall coolers. Your H50 would avoid that issue.

So between 902 and 1200, which is better for my config? Should I buy a noctua instead of the h50? How about the Cosmos Pure?

So cosmos s and spedo advance cases aren't really that great?

False_Dmitry_II said:
Well supposedly the graphics card is supposed to toss its own air out of the slot itself. I've never had one do it.

You picked the fastest 500 gig normal speed drive on the market for the raid, of course it will be faster. Maybe if you were talking about using a couple of ancient 160 gig drives, then that'd be different.

Soundcard wise, no. It's definitely gotten to the point where you're just spending money on nothing, kinda like that Killer network card. Not only that but if you ever use the HDMI on the graphics card, it will be the graphics card that handles the sound anyway.

Thank you guys for your responses, this is why I trust Tom's Hardware so much.
December 21, 2009 10:08:50 PM

I'd still like to know if I should buy a noctua instead of the H50. And also, if you could sort these cases by temperatures: Antec 902, Antec 1200, Thermaltake Spedo, CM Cosmos S. Thanks in advance!
!