Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive Clicking?

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2011 9:13:06 PM

My computer has a WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 for its hard drive. I got my computer back from a local tech shop recently after upgrading it and everything is great so far. My computer has never been this quiet. However, sometimes I hear clicking noises from my computer after I boot up in the morning. The clicking goes away in a minute or two and everything after that is very quiet. Is this normal for some hard drives to click upon startup as a way to warm up or could it be something else like a fan? I'm not sure if this is something that has been happening all along that I'm noticing now due to a quieter machine. Thanks in advance for any input.

More about : hard drive clicking

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 29, 2011 9:43:23 PM

The only moving parts in a computer would be fan(s) and HDD. HDDs do make some kind of noises but those are not clicking noises. To my mind, looks like noise is coming from fan(s).
November 29, 2011 9:48:29 PM

I hope that is the case. It is a horrible time to buy a HDD right now. The case is an Antec Sonata III. I didn't have the case fans hooked up before I brought it to the shop. I got the computer back with the case fans plugged in so that is one of the differences.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 29, 2011 9:52:37 PM

So again, plugging in of fans now is an indicator that noise could be coming from fans.
m
l
November 30, 2011 7:41:46 PM

Best answer selected by hpdeskjet.
m
l
!