What is best way to update motherboard

stephentony

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I have a MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard and I have not installed the OS yet after just completing my first build. This mobo has had 3 firmware updates since it came out. Is it better to to the updates through the M-flash feature which allows BIOS updates using a flash drive from within the BIOS settings or is it better to install the OS and allow the updates to be done through MSI's auto update feature from within the OS? Thank you.

In order to use MSI's live update software, you first need to download and install it to your system's hardrive (if you use xp, vista or 7). Then you have to disable any "boot block" settings in the bios. Then disable any firewalls used by windows or your virus protection software. Then you go online and run the live update program. It will detect your current motherboard model number and bios version and tell you if a bios update is available. If the program starts flashing, a small black window will appear while the program is running. It starts out by erasing your old bios file, installing the new file, then checking it. Be patient and wait for it to finish. Don't touch anything or power down your system, or you may end up with a dead motherboard. At the end of the program, it will reboot automatically or tell you the program is finished and ask you to reboot.