Sign in with
Your question

RE: CPU's

Last response: in CPUs
February 28, 2010 1:51:23 AM

I will admit to being quite nieve when it comes to computers, although I have pulled a few apart in my time.
My current system is old, about 4 yrs I'd guess.
Specifically I wanted to update my processor.
The old one was an Intel Pentium 4, running at 3.00ghz.
The new one is an Intel Pentium Dual Core, E5400.
I took great time in slowly replacing, one for the other, after double checking different websites and double checking with Intel that my Asus board (P5GZ-MX) could take the new processor, which I was told that it could.
So I switched them and get nothing, no beeps, no sound, certainly no video, the monitor light just blinks.
So I was told next to update the bios, which I did, again, same exact thing, nada.
I was told that my board was dual core compatible for intel proessors 05A/05B and 06 (which the latter is what my is coded)
I am at a loss and looking for any kind of help.
I did double check everything, processor placement, made sure the four heatsink screws were tighten like no ones business, yet still, I get nothing.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Brian

More about : cpu

February 28, 2010 2:05:52 AM

shybri69 said:
I will admit to being quite nieve when it comes to computers, although I have pulled a few apart in my time.
My current system is old, about 4 yrs I'd guess.
Specifically I wanted to update my processor.
The old one was an Intel Pentium 4, running at 3.00ghz.
The new one is an Intel Pentium Dual Core, E5400.
I took great time in slowly replacing, one for the other, after double checking different websites and double checking with Intel that my Asus board (P5GZ-MX) could take the new processor, which I was told that it could.
So I switched them and get nothing, no beeps, no sound, certainly no video, the monitor light just blinks.
So I was told next to update the bios, which I did, again, same exact thing, nada.
I was told that my board was dual core compatible for intel proessors 05A/05B and 06 (which the latter is what my is coded)
I am at a loss and looking for any kind of help.
I did double check everything, processor placement, made sure the four heatsink screws were tighten like no ones business, yet still, I get nothing.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Brian

sorry I forgot to add that I am currently running Windows 7.
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
February 28, 2010 2:23:10 AM

Your board wont do an E5400, it will do an E4300-E4700 and E6300, E6400, E6600, and E6700. Pick one off of the compatibility list shown on the ASUS website, update the bios using your old CPU and you shouldnt have an issue, but the one you picked isnt on the list so you dont stand a chance of getting it to boot.
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=tETxzdhyOHOJ5pqv
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2010 3:01:13 AM

Yeh, whoever told you your mobo supports a E5400 is flat out wrong. You motherboard can only support 65nm CPUs, not 45nm CPUs such as the E5400.
m
l
February 28, 2010 12:38:16 PM

cool thanks guys, I found an E6300 so I'll give that one a whirl :) 

m
l
!