Sign in with
Your question

SATA Hard Drive Not Detected

Last response: in Windows XP
July 6, 2012 11:10:48 AM

I have dell dimension 8300, xp pro, ata raid 0, ati radeon 9800xt. ATI driver updated yesterday. today impossible to boot. first error message: problem is detected with array 1
can someone help to fix the issue ? Tx
July 6, 2012 2:56:28 PM

belcus said:
I have dell dimension 8300, xp pro, ata raid 0, ati radeon 9800xt. ATI driver updated yesterday. today impossible to boot. first error message: problem is detected with array 1
can someone help to fix the issue ? Tx

If you cannot get into safe mode to attempt to fix, Repair the OS from the Windows CD.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6657748_windows-xp-recovery-op...
m
l
July 7, 2012 12:13:36 PM

ksiemb said:
If you cannot get into safe mode to attempt to fix, Repair the OS from the Windows CD.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6657748_windows-xp-recovery-op...

Tx ksiemb for your reply. After switching off everything, opening the case and pushing on cables and connectors, the system can restart normally, but stop just after the "Widows xp" logo display. A blue screen appear with the following error message: Stop: c0000218 unknown hard error. What does this mean ?
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2012 7:29:06 AM

You'll get no further without a CD of some kind - XP, Hirens or a Linux operating system. it sounds like the RAID array has failed big time or the disk itself has fallen over. Try adjusting BIOS settings to take RAID out of the equation but if that fails, buy, borrow or download another operating system and burn it to CD or replace that hard drive.

m
l
July 8, 2012 10:26:40 AM

Tx, when i tryto boot, i got the following report afer the IDE drives scan

Scanning IDE Drives ..
ID MODE SIZE TRACK-MAPPING STATUS
1* 2+0 Stripe 238000M 28935/255/63 Optimal

Does this mean that the hard disk is still good ?
As my CD Drives does not work (, I use Wintoflash to create a bootable usb flash disk from the xp installation disk. but when i tried to boot on the usb drive, i got an error message like can't open .... etc. and the process stop.
What does it mean when the system can't run on a xp installation disk ?

m
l
July 8, 2012 2:18:54 PM

Try a Linux OS on that flash drive. Sometimes, Linux can mount a disk when Windows can't. Google for Linux Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux - either will fit easily on a 4Gb flash drive.

m
l
July 8, 2012 10:19:43 PM

Saga Lout said:

Try a Linux OS on that flash drive. Sometimes, Linux can mount a disk when Windows can't. Google for Linux Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux - either will fit easily on a 4Gb flash drive.

I m very cnfused with the computer. When I shut it down and cut off the power for few times, the system reboot normaly and i can use my extrnal hard disk to transfer my files stored on the hard drive. The system respond perfectly. But after 1 hour, the screen become blue and an error message like this appear: crucial thread or process detected ... shut windows to protect your system... is there any tool or action i can perfom next time when the system reboot to identify the problem. tx
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:28:48 AM

I swuspect that hard disk but if another oipportunity comes up after you've finished transferring your important data, use it to run Checkdisk - preferably from a Command Prompt. Using the sytax
chkdsk c: /r
will give the disk a thorough five stage check which wlil try to fix any errors it finds.

All that said, hard disk are so inexpensive these days, even after the floods in Thailand which gave the makers an excuse to hike prices up, so it's better to replace it rather than try to rescue it.

m
l
July 9, 2012 11:13:19 AM

Tx Saga Lout for your advise. I tried 2 times to chec the disk but the screen went blue before the end of the process displaying a new error message : Unknown Hard Error. As i said, when the systm boot normally i can get access to the hard disk and explore it, so how can it be in fault. i'm suspecting a malware because the problem occure after i install and run "uniblue driver scanner". Also my cd r/rw an dvd drivers are off, so no way to reinstall xp with the cd, and when i try to do it with the usb, i got the following error message: Couldn't open multi(0)disk(0)partition1(1). I want to remove the hard disk and test it on another dell dsktop. any new advises will be highly helpfull. Tx again for your support
m
l
July 9, 2012 1:03:21 PM

Couldn't open multi(0)disk(0)partition1(1)

Which physical disk is that - the problem one or another disk?

I want to remove the hard disk and test it on another dell dsktop.

Good idea. Running Checkdisk without the system involved is always better and while you're in there, run a scan on it using MalwareBytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org - fully updated, of course.

m
l
July 9, 2012 5:36:51 PM

Saga Lout said:
Couldn't open multi(0)disk(0)partition1(1)

Which physical disk is that - the problem one or another disk?

I want to remove the hard disk and test it on another dell dsktop.

Good idea. Running Checkdisk without the system involved is always better and while you're in there, run a scan on it using MalwareBytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org - fully updated, of course.

I guess it is the problem one because there is one disk intalled. After a long break i tried to reboot and attempt a system restoration. I receive the following error message "file saving sector 1...., 2..... etc. not readable" as my xp is in french, i tried to translate into english the message. This confirm that the hard disk is damaged and need to be replaced. given the spec of the computer: dell dimension 8300, xp pro, intel pentium4, 2 gb ram, ati radeon 9800xt, which spec of hard disk can you advise for my system ? thanks a lot again
m
l
July 9, 2012 6:08:37 PM

Any will do really - Seagate and Western Digital are my preferred manufacturers. If you buy a large disk - 320Gb or larger, partition it when installing XP so the system sits on 100Gb with a couple of other partitions of about the same size for storage and backup. The safest backup, of course, is outside the machine completely.

m
l
July 9, 2012 6:21:33 PM

Tx a lot Saga Lout for your support. Definitly, I will buy a new disk to replace the problem one. Before replacing it, i will try to transfer as many as possible files on my external hard disk. I hope this will help to come up the problem. I appreciate
m
l
!