CD-RW/DVD drive problems...

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 11, 2004 7:52:10 PM

I've got a Sony VIAO laptop (XP Pro, 512 MB RAM) with a CD-RW/DVD drive that
will not recognize a DVD, whether it's a movie or a data DVD. I've updated
the firmware, but everytime I put a DVD in the drive, nothing will happen.
Any suggestions?

More about : dvd drive problems

July 11, 2004 11:04:56 PM

Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I've got a Sony VIAO laptop (XP Pro, 512 MB RAM) with a CD-RW/DVD drive that
: will not recognize a DVD, whether it's a movie or a data DVD. I've updated
: the firmware, but everytime I put a DVD in the drive, nothing will happen.
: Any suggestions?

So if you go to "My Computer" and double-click on the DVD drive after
you have inserted the disc, nothing is there?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
July 12, 2004 5:40:53 AM

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:
> : I've got a Sony VIAO laptop (XP Pro, 512 MB RAM) with a CD-RW/DVD drive
that
> : will not recognize a DVD, whether it's a movie or a data DVD. I've
updated
> : the firmware, but everytime I put a DVD in the drive, nothing will
happen.
> : Any suggestions?
>
> So if you go to "My Computer" and double-click on the DVD drive after
> you have inserted the disc, nothing is there?
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

It will ask me to insert a disk, when one is already there...
Related resources
July 12, 2004 6:51:08 AM

Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:
: It will ask me to insert a disk, when one is already there...

Are you sure the driver for the CD/DVD drive is installed correctly?
Look in Device Manager in Control Panel -> System -> Hardware.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
July 12, 2004 8:05:03 AM

> Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:
> : It will ask me to insert a disk, when one is already there...
>
> Are you sure the driver for the CD/DVD drive is installed correctly?
> Look in Device Manager in Control Panel -> System -> Hardware.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

Yes, there was a firmware upgrade that I thought would help. When I rebooted
after installing it, it went through the New Hardware found & listed a CD-RW
& DVD. It has always showed in device mgr as Matshita UJDA745 DVD/CDR ROM
drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2004 2:13:08 AM

I am having the same problem with this drive. Mine is in an IBM
Thinkpad though.

I don't think its a firmware issue because dvd's that I know i have
played on this drive before do not work now.

The only disc i have been able to get working is harry potter and the
chamber of secrets (disc 1) - and not the dvd-rom bonus features
discs. And the HP dvd only played after a little messing around on
my part. I noticed it will play
sometimes when I restart the computer
and the dvd is in the tray, or when I play a cd before, then put in
the dvd. again, this will only work for this particular dvd.

All other dvds, either new, or old, have not worked.

When I look at the drive in my computer, it calls the drive CD/DVD,
but just underneath, it calls it a CD Drive.

I don't know what is going on. help![/i]

==============
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2004 12:25:25 PM

I am having the same problem. I have a Vaio TR1A and this has been
going on since I bought the computer about a year ago. I have sent
the computer to Sony 3 times for various repairs and each time asked
them to fix the DVD because it wasn't working consistently. They
never did anything.

Very frustrating.

At first, I thought it was the media or how a particular DVD
manufacturer but I don't think that is the problem. The drive will
play some DVDs and not others. In fact, I have box sets where I can
play disk 1 and not disk 2.
!