Best gpu for a p4 system.

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Well my awesome gaming laptop fried yesterday so all I am left with is an old P4 system.
P4 630 "Prescott" 3ghz 800mhz fsb (I can probably take it to 3.4ghz without breaking a sweat)
Asus p5gd1 pro mobo (has a pci-e slot :eek: )
2gb ram

Could anyone reccomend a pci-e card that would take full advantage of this system avoiding bottlenecks. I prefer ATI since the gaming laptop I fried had an 8800mgts (9600gt equivalent)

Thanks, Mike

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Just checked the prices where I currently live and the 4770 costs 2x as much as the 4670. Since this is a p4 system I have here the 4670 is starting to look really good. Found one for ~ $70.

The HD4670 provides good gaming at lower resolutions like 1280 x1024.

Do not listen to the guys above me, with a single core processor there isnt much of an upgrade path that will aid your gaming experience. If it was a Pentium D with dual core perhaps, but a single core P4 its a waste of money trying to pimp it out.
The guy is trying to make a temporary gaming system out of what he has there is no reason not to do that with $60-80 card if possible.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Do not listen to the guys above me, with a single core processor there isnt much of an upgrade path that will aid your gaming experience. If it was a Pentium D with dual core perhaps, but a single core P4 its a waste of money trying to pimp it out.

There is every reason not to do that.

There is no way a 6-7 year old single processor would be capable of supporting a video card of today's generation. Even at low resolutions and detail the frame rate would be unbearable.

+1!
Amen!
Listen to him at least some people around here still have some sense.

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
It's one of the last P4 Prescott's made, 2mb l2 cache. Came out a few months before the Pentium D's. Its approximately 4 yrs old. Would not even a low end card like HD 4670 do it justice? Please understand, this computer is running a radeon x300. I don't expect to max crysis lol. Just looking to play wow at more than all low settings.

There is every reason not to do that.

There is no way a 6-7 year old single processor would be capable of supporting a video card of today's generation. Even at low resolutions and detail the frame rate would be unbearable.
The change is he is playing a online game like WOW or EVE online that do not require much from his CPU. Not every body is playing Crysis, L4D 2 and all the other new games. Throwing in a $55 GPU like this one is a very viable option http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127448
OP is looking into this because his LAPTOP broke!

It will work fine for WOW as in my answer above.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
The P4 Prescott's came out in 2004, so its 6 year old processor and is a reworked P4 Northwood from 2001 :)

Even wow will play like crap, it was just the other day someone was in the TH forum complaining that WOW was running at low frames per second and his rig was midrange by today's standards.

I'd say if you are content with upgrading the GPU and know the bottlenecks involved get the cheapest video card available until you can afford a new gaming laptop or PC.

4670 or Nvidia 9500 GT should work a treat, but do not expect a good level of performance.

The difference is the guy from the other thread was trying to run high resolution at the highest settings. Wow is more dependent on your internet connection than anything. There are lots of people playing that game just fine on single core processors and lower end graphics cards. Its about your settings...I'm sure it will play as good with this setup as it did on his laptop, so if he was happy with that he should be happy with this.