Booting from a Different Hard Drive - Win 7 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil135

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I have two hard drives, my original hard drive is a WD Caviar Blue 640GB on which my original Windows 7 64bit was installed on and has all of my installed directories on it. Now, I got a new Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, and I cloned my 640GB's data and Windows installation to that 1TB, so now both drives are identical data-wise. When I have either plugged in by themselves via SATA wires, they boot and run flawlessly. But when I plug both in and turn on my PC, it automatically boots from the original 640GB. My final goal is to be able to boot from my 1TB and use that as my system drive, and have the 640GB as a storage drive. Any suggestions?

Phil135

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hmmm, that's more or less what I was coming too. But would that somehow mess up something because I would be BOOTED from the WD while I'd be deleting everything... Is that even possible BTW?

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Adding to what Hawkeye22 said, in the BIOS, remove the WD HDD from the list of bootable devices, and then ensure only the Samsung HDD is available for booting from, and is first in the order.

Status
Not open for further replies.