DDR1600 and x58

VeggieX

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
Forgive me if this is posted somewhere. I don't really know where to look. It has been along long time since I looked up anything and have forget it all.

I have G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit

And EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

And Core i7 920 Bloomfield.

For a year or so I have been running it at 20x150 core clocks. (I guess I said that right.)

I found out from a friend that my ram was running at 1200mhz. He mentioned loading XMP Profile in the BIOS so I did. I couldn't get Windows 7 to boot. I even tried to reset clock speeds to stock and boot and it didn't work. I also tried to up the voltage from 1.5v to 1.6v on the ram. That didn't work.

Can you guys help me out?

Solution
Bring your FSB : DRAM to 2:10, or Memory Multiplier if that's what it's called to 10x and then overclock a little bit from there. When you set it to 12x (I'm assuming you did this to reach 1600 MHz) overclocking boosted the speed of the RAM past 1600 MHz and either the timings were too tight for the RAM to handle or the RAM couldn't run at any higher speeds.

Frankly speaking, higher speed RAM wasn't meant to provide any significant performance bonuses, it was just to stop limiting your overclock.
XMP is not support in every RAM module even if it is compatible with the motherboard.. I've seen few Kingston hyper-x RAM's supporting them.. Anyway, as suggested by Lmeow, you need to clear your CMOS as the first step.. Download and install CPU-Z.. It'll give you information regarding your system hardware.. Check for information regarding memory.. Then if required, you can change it in your BIOS..

P.S. - How did your friend convinced you about your RAM's operating at lower speed than rated.?

VeggieX

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
To Emperus. He bought the same RAM. And almost the same MOBO. I went and checked in the BIOS myelf and it was running really low.

I cleared my CMOS and set my ram to 1600mhz manually. My windows loaded fine. Then I tried to OC my CPU and my PC wouldnt even boot half the time. The other half windows wouldn't boot. How do I OC my CPU and get my RAM to run at the correct speeds?

Bring your FSB : DRAM to 2:10, or Memory Multiplier if that's what it's called to 10x and then overclock a little bit from there. When you set it to 12x (I'm assuming you did this to reach 1600 MHz) overclocking boosted the speed of the RAM past 1600 MHz and either the timings were too tight for the RAM to handle or the RAM couldn't run at any higher speeds.

Frankly speaking, higher speed RAM wasn't meant to provide any significant performance bonuses, it was just to stop limiting your overclock.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS