Sign in with
Your question

PC won't post, replaced almost everything and nothing... HELP!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 26, 2012 8:16:37 PM

My computer recently had a bad RAM stick that was RMA’d and received last week. Computer ran fine for a week, and then yesterday I picked the computer up (physically) and took it to another room. It ran fine all day and today I needed to restart. When I did the computer got to the post screen and said “your computer is not stable due to OC and settings will be reset” then shut down. Since then I have tried to restart it to absolutely no avail. It does this:

1. Turns on then immediately off
2. Turns on again and goes to post screen but does not post; I try to press delete to go to BIOS, does not work, computer shuts down again
3. Repeats 1 and 2 in that order until I unplug PSU cable

I have tried the following since this occurred to absolutely no avail, every time the result is the aforementioned power cycling.

1. Switched out RAM sticks
2. Switched out Vid Card
3. Switched out PSU
4. Unplugged HDD/SSD
5. Replaced CMOS Battery

I have no idea what the problem could be unless it is the mobo or the CPU, and don’t know how to test those. Also I wonder if it has anything to do with physically moving the computer or the newly replaced RAM stick, or if that is just a very odd coincidence. Before the RAM swap, I was getting the “your computer is not stable due to OC and settings will be reset” message and then the BIOS would reset my computer to some weird settings at either the CPU running at 4.0ghz and 1.20v or 3.4ghz at 1.355v, both of which are not stock and very odd . Here are my components/OCs:

1. I5-2500k 4.0ghz 1.22v (stable in p95, temps never reached higher than 60c in any testing)
2. 8gb g.skill ripjaws RAM
3. OCZ SSD
4. Radeon 7850 1200/5800 @ 1.176v (stable in all tests, temps never exceed 70c)
5. OCZ 700w PSU
6. Gigabyte UD3H PSU

What else am I forgetting to check? The computer is only 3 months old.

More about : post replaced

June 26, 2012 8:55:22 PM

forgot to add that i get no beeps.
m
l
June 26, 2012 9:43:50 PM

Reset CMOS start the OC process over. It seems like 1.22v just isnt enough anymore. You can easily shoot that up. Try 1.25v, if it posts then start running stability tests and re-dialing the v down. That 1.22v might have been like...on the edge and it just finally tilted.
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2012 9:46:13 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Reset CMOS start the OC process over. It seems like 1.22v just isnt enough anymore. You can easily shoot that up. Try 1.25v, if it posts then start running stability tests and re-dialing the v down. That 1.22v might have been like...on the edge and it just finally tilted.

not sure if you read the whole post, but the PC is dead. CMOS reset doesn't help. i cannot post.
m
l
June 26, 2012 9:57:29 PM

I was under the assumption that you could enter the bios when you unpluged the PSU cable. Got nothin for you then. From what I have read and seen the 2500k chip is made out of gold. Any way you can test the mobo against another chip? from a friend or what not?
m
l
June 26, 2012 10:29:07 PM

What i would do is take everything out of the case and breadboard it so that you could eliminate any possibility of a short somewhere in the case. Also try to boot with just one stick of RAM.

Another thing is i would check the heatsink. It's possible that when you moved your case it could have come loose. I'm guessing you are using an aftermarket heatsink with a backplate since you're OCing but just make sure anyways.
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:40:10 AM

ive isolated everything but the cpu and mobo. i even put in a speaker and got a normal 1 beep, but then it froze on the bios screen before post. then it shut off and repeated until i shut it off. it just keeps boot looping.
m
l
!