How to setup multiple ethernet connections in win 7

Neti2022

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Okay this is what I have A 5 port gigabyte router linksys. I also have a 8 port gigabyte dlink switch, and a 2mb up 16 mb down cable connection. I just bought a ex58 extreme board with two gigabyte ethernet ports. I was setup with a static ip on my old system by setting up dhcp to work on 198.168.1.10 or above, and setup my computer to a static by using 198.168.1.5 hence I got what they call being connectable??
I now have 2 gigabyte ethernet ports on my new motherboard. So I thought I could just assign 198.168.1.5 to one port and 198.168.1.6 to another port on my motherboard. But I do not know if this is the correct way to do this. I was told what I want is for one of my ethernet ports for packets up and the other for packets down ....Is this even true??? Could some one please point me in the right direction?? Thanks inadvance for any and all input :)

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Unless things have changed, it's software that directs two cards to be used for the same data stream. This would be software provided by the chipset maker Intel. Though, for you internet needs, two cards won't make any difference, but if you hosting over your LAN to other computers on the LAN then it would provide a boost.

Just one of your network cards can do 1000Mbps and your internet is only 16Mbps. Even a 100Mbps network card could handle that and then a lot more.