Sign in with
Your question

My wireless connection keeps dropping d link router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 14, 2010 1:49:56 PM

Hello,

My connection drops off every few minutes for about ten secs. my internet icon changes to having a red cross to indicat that it is not connected. this does not happen on my net book so i know it os related to the laptop i am using. i have just switched internet suppliers and installed a new d link modem/router and i did not have this problem with my old netgear router. Any help would be great.
March 15, 2010 8:50:37 AM

Also It works perfectly when hardwired so could my built in wireless not be compatible? Or do i need to change any settig to match the new router?
March 15, 2010 8:59:06 AM

magicmills said:
Hello,

My connection drops off every few minutes for about ten secs. my internet icon changes to having a red cross to indicat that it is not connected. this does not happen on my net book so i know it os related to the laptop i am using. i have just switched internet suppliers and installed a new d link modem/router and i did not have this problem with my old netgear router. Any help would be great.

I forgot to mention that i am using a new D-LINK N Router. From what i read on other feeds it maybe because my wireless card cannot be used successfully with the N Router. Could this be the problem? I dont know what card i have in my laptop (Dell Vostro 1000).
Related resources
Anonymous
March 15, 2010 9:03:48 AM

Check the router's settings and make sure wireless mode is set to G or mixed mode and see what happens -- if the laptop is recent it should be N, if not could be G.

Also test with wireless security disabled temporarily.

Experiment with different wireless channels, especially if you can detect neighbouring wifi (select a channel 5 stops from strongest neighbour).
March 15, 2010 9:32:42 AM

Router is already set to Mixed N/G/B. My laptop is a couple of years old. I do not get this on my samsung netbook running windows 7. It is solely on my dell vostro when in wireless mode - hardwired its fine.

Do not know how to disable the security, If it works with security off how do i fix this.

Anonymous
March 15, 2010 1:01:46 PM

The reason I suggest temporarily disabling wireless security in the router is in case this solves things which then points to wrong passphrase or wrong security type. On re-reading your post this probably isn't the issue.

You might try turning off UPnP (or turning it on) in the router, but it sounds like wireless reception or interference are the best suspects.
March 15, 2010 1:26:50 PM

Tried the UPnP but issue still remains. How can i check my interface/reception for issues. Should i check my wireless setting on the laptop itself for issues and again how? If i cannot solve this i was thinking of trying a external USB/Wirless card but dont want to if i can get around it as i would prefer to use the laptop as it is.
Anonymous
March 15, 2010 1:37:12 PM

The laptop's wireless utilities may indicate of signal strength and quality (as may Windows depending on version you have). If in doubt download a free program like Network Stumbler which is dedicated to that (see FileHippo/CNET/MajorGeeks download sites).

The reason for experimenting with changing channels in the router is that the different frequencies the channels represent work better or worse depending on your environment.

I would not spend money on a new wireless adapter just yet.
March 15, 2010 1:45:09 PM

I have network stumbler but i am not quite sure how to use it apart from it telling me what chanel my neighbours are using.

I have changed the chanel on the router a number of times with the same issue still ongoing.

I only started having this problem when i switched routers it was fine on the old one. It was a netgear dg834h v3 with no issues in its use.
Anonymous
March 15, 2010 4:22:05 PM

D-Link routers offer more comprehensive setup than the Netgear models I've used -- the downside being that they are more complicated. Is it too late to trade the D-Link for a Netgear equivalent ?
March 15, 2010 4:29:36 PM

Well probably as it came with the contract from ISP Virgin. But the fact remains that i have no issues wirelessly with my other laptop. So if there is some configuration setup that i can do to my wirless card in my laptop please could someone suggest anything.

Bt the way fihart you have been most helpful and i really appreciate your input. Thanks
November 16, 2012 1:29:01 PM

Here's my two cents worth. I have a D-link router that gives me the EXACT same symptoms. It started as follows:
I bought a brand spanking new router and got my network up and running. It worked great for about two months before I started experiencing the connectivity problems. Originally I blamed my service provider(after all, it's a brand new router). After extensive testing and out of pure frustration, I went and bought a new router - same brand same model(I live out in the sticks, have to use what you can get). Replaced the old one. Worked like a charm.... for about two months. Now I start to experience the EXACT same problems AGAIN!!! Now explain to me what's going on. It used to work 100%. I didn't change the position on the router, nor changed PC hardware, have tried all the (ill?) advice that get thrown at you on the internet, have a very nice strong signal(while it's up and running), even reinstalled my PC because I figured I might have some problem on it. Before jumping to the conclusion of "Hah! I know the source of the problem - he's got a hardware issue with his wireless card on his PC, and is too damn daft to realize it..." Let me explain: I have an what I believe an above average home network. I have a total of six PC's and laptops, four handheld devices, and two gaming consoles. running on my wireless network. All of them loose signal at the exact same time and one of these machines is directly next to the router(I don't do the cable thing anymore).

Now I'm no expert when it comes to networks and computers, but I've been around the block as far as self help is concerned(My two years working as IT manager might have helped a little bit). I can make conclusions though, and judging by the sheer volume of people complaining about the exact same thing about the exact same router....
November 16, 2012 5:15:18 PM

Vitrinite... does rebooting the router make any difference? Are you able to see the statistics page and if so, do you see any errors, collisions or dropped packets?
October 20, 2013 4:21:31 PM

i too am having this problem. reboodting the router doesn't help. checked the statistics page and there are no wan nor lan errors nor dropped packets. But there are 7 errors in both wireless bands. any ideas?
October 31, 2013 4:51:12 AM

Vitrinite said:
Here's my two cents worth. I have a D-link router that gives me the EXACT same symptoms. It started as follows:
I bought a brand spanking new router and got my network up and running. It worked great for about two months before I started experiencing the connectivity problems. Originally I blamed my service provider(after all, it's a brand new router). After extensive testing and out of pure frustration, I went and bought a new router - same brand same model(I live out in the sticks, have to use what you can get). Replaced the old one. Worked like a charm.... for about two months. Now I start to experience the EXACT same problems AGAIN!!! Now explain to me what's going on. It used to work 100%. I didn't change the position on the router, nor changed PC hardware, have tried all the (ill?) advice that get thrown at you on the internet, have a very nice strong signal(while it's up and running), even reinstalled my PC because I figured I might have some problem on it. Before jumping to the conclusion of "Hah! I know the source of the problem - he's got a hardware issue with his wireless card on his PC, and is too damn daft to realize it..." Let me explain: I have an what I believe an above average home network. I have a total of six PC's and laptops, four handheld devices, and two gaming consoles. running on my wireless network. All of them loose signal at the exact same time and one of these machines is directly next to the router(I don't do the cable thing anymore).

Now I'm no expert when it comes to networks and computers, but I've been around the block as far as self help is concerned(My two years working as IT manager might have helped a little bit). I can make conclusions though, and judging by the sheer volume of people complaining about the exact same thing about the exact same router....

October 31, 2013 4:55:14 AM

dudes, im no expert but my last dog got eaten by a bear and now its a bit strange because all i do is sit inside an reply to questions on forums about things that i have no clue about. its not very satisfying though in its own peculiar way i find it is a good release as DAFUQ.
October 31, 2013 4:59:06 AM

Here's my seven cents worth, well jenny she came by and bought me a pie, i didn't like the pie because she has dirt under her finger nails.
October 31, 2013 5:18:55 AM

hah! I've.. GOT IT, put 4 matchsticks under the left hand side of the router and one ice cream stick under the right side of the router, jump in your car, drive down the local cafe for a bro-latte (bratte), get completely distracted before your foot even hits the gas pedal and go for a swim in the lake, but its to cold so drive around for a bit and wait for a good song to come on the radio that i can practice my guitar to and dream about jenny on the end of my limp one and 100% guaranteed i'll come up with a solution and i probably wont cos she's been around the block a few times but JUMPIN' JEHOSHAPHAT not as many times as me cos i am a mega nerd with 15 lap tops, 23 gaming consoles, 124 mobile devices 125 mobile devices 126 mobile devices...and and and is there really a wireless card in the pc, cos that would explain it, we have had bush scrub fires here, but not consistent enough to finish this this infinity x mega 10 notational 1000...
!