1 Hdd partitioned to C: & E:. C:(windows) is dying as hddlifepro says

cska

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
i got 500 gb hdd partitioned to C(50 gb) with windows and E(400 gb)for other stuff.hddlife pro shows that C disk is dying its already has red bar,partition E shows 73 %(btw hddlife pro shows only E partition in its main menu i can only check life of C's when i open my Computer with small metering bar near C & E.so whats the solution here,is it possible to create another 50 gb partition and move contents of C there .like chopping off the rotting part of the apple and eat everything else

It's not the partition, it's the drive that the partition lives on. I suggest

1) Do a full backup of your drive to an external device. Don't have one? Go buy one. One of the best investments you will ever make.

2) Find out the manufacturer and model of your drive and download diagnostics from the manufacturer's site. Run the full diagnostics, to see if there are hardware problems. That product just reads the SMART diagnostics; interpretation of those can be debatable. And they have nothing to do with individual partitions

3) If the drive is bad, buy a new one and clone the old one to it. Presto, good drive.

4) If the drive is good, run the most detailed version of chkdsk to look for filesystem corruption.

5) If you can post the actual raw SMART diagnostic values (no, I don't know how), there are people here with the experience to interpret them

Tell us what you find, and you may get more detailed information.

cska

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

well i ran chkdsk few days ago,the ordinary chkdsk before the windows startup thts it.now from the red life bar its in yellow zone.i dont know if it has to do with chkdsk that i ran,cos i left pc working the whole night downloading some programs maybe it just heated up abit and dropped its life resource.
just curious if the partition C: will reach 0 whats gonna happen to my hdd(C: & E: r on the same hard disc) since E: is going to be in green zone(74 %) so that means that this chunk on my hdd will be dead ,or will my whole hdd will go down

I am not familiar with that tool, so I can't tell you. Perhaps the only reason the thing is showing red is that you are nearly out of space? If the tool will not show more details about WHY it is showing warning colors, then, IMHO, it is useless. See if it will give more detailed information.

There are tools that will let you adjust the size of partitions on a drive. If I were short of space, I would merge my partitions, or install another drive. Then again, I wouldn't have to buy it at today's exorbitant (?) prices; I have about 14 of them sitting on my desks.

cska

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
i have just found out how to open disc management and to my surprise it says that both partitions r healthy,who shud i believe hddlife pro or disc management tool.
u said if u were short on space ud merge both partitions whats the reason if u can put ur info to free partition,why all the hustle with C size increase