Sign in with
Your question

Its upgrade time again...

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2009 3:02:25 PM

Hi there guys,

I built myself a system just over a year ago and have been extremely happy with it. Its had a few upgrades over the year and is currently comprised of:

Q6600 D0 clocked @ 3.1GHz
Asus P35 Premium
4Gb 800Mhz DDR2 OCZ Gold @ 5-5-5-17
Powercolor PCS HD4870 512Mb (slightly overclocked)
2 500Gb Barracuda 7200.12s (Not RAIDed at present)

As great as this system has been, I'm looking for a little more performance (being a fairly serious mainstream and Sim (Arma II/Black Shark) player). I have a nominal budget of £200 and I was wondering what you would reccomend to give the most significant performance increase? Secondly, is it worth converting my main/backup drive setup in to a RAID 1 array?

Ta for your time,

Krazy

More about : upgrade time

a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2009 5:45:15 PM

I'm not sure what you're after, that's a pretty good quad overclocked a good bit, and still a card that can play most games quite well.

I guess you could try for a new graphics card, but I personally would be fine with such a system for at least another year.

Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2009 9:32:32 PM

Raid 1 is for redundancy, not speed. Raid 0 would be for speed. You could theoretically get doubled load speeds. It would have basically no effect during game play. Getting a stronger graphics card like the 5850 is the only substantial increase you are going to get.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2009 9:57:24 PM

Indeed. But can you get one for two hundred pounds?
December 21, 2009 11:38:05 PM

I just listed one for £229.99 inc VAT.

That's not much over £200.
December 21, 2009 11:45:40 PM

Dabs have the saphire for under 200, iv been using google. Simply search for 5850, then click on shopping at the top, now click on sort by price, low to high. For 232 dabs have the xfx xxx edition, which is currently the best option. Ow and dabs do free delivery.

Finding the right price can sometimes take a short shop around, but with the new ati cards, its more of who has it in stock and when will you get it. The saphire one should now be in stock, if your lucky you may be able to get one soon. Otherwise your looking at waiting another 4 weeks.

I'v been watching this card for some time now, even pre ordered it, but when i found itl be 4week's, thought wth for? May aswell cancell, and shop around in 4 weeks!
December 22, 2009 12:44:24 AM

Boxa786 said:
Dabs have the saphire for under 200, iv been using google. Simply search for 5850, then click on shopping at the top, now click on sort by price, low to high. For 232 dabs have the xfx xxx edition, which is currently the best option. Ow and dabs do free delivery.

Finding the right price can sometimes take a short shop around, but with the new ati cards, its more of who has it in stock and when will you get it. The saphire one should now be in stock, if your lucky you may be able to get one soon. Otherwise your looking at waiting another 4 weeks.

I'v been watching this card for some time now, even pre ordered it, but when i found itl be 4week's, thought wth for? May aswell cancell, and shop around in 4 weeks!

Good find.

Sapphire HD 5850 - £198.95 inc vat
http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphire-technology-ati-ra...
December 22, 2009 4:34:14 PM

You missed it, all cards are now due in 3-4 weeks... So may aswell do what Im doing, wait 4 weeks and shop around then. Iv used many search engines and found google shopping is the best and most accurate.

Plus, by then Im sure you can save another £32 and get teh XFX XXX edition, which is there overclocked version. Well woth the wait...

Dabs do free delivery on almost everything, I think as long as its above something like £50, you get free delivery.

I ordered from them and received it after 2 days.

- They dont have a sales line number or cust support number, so thats the only down side of buying from them, however, there online live chat is almost always available during their business hours, which I think is till around 7pm.

Iv used their live chat and found them to be very helpful and know what their talking about. You can contact them this way before and after ordering, Iv had no problems with any general queries and more specific queries, as well as after sales support.

If you need to contact them by email/ticket, they usually respond within 24hours and again Iv used this, and again found them their help spot on.

Tbh, Im surprised Iv never found their site before, as I always ordered from overclockers, scan and sometimes other sites. From all the sites Iv ordered from, they have certainly made a good first impression.
!