Sign in with
Your question

Can I use Symantec Ghost to image a SSD?

Last response: in Storage
November 30, 2011 2:27:48 PM

I'm getting an SSD tomorrow. It's an Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G1GC, are they a decent drive?

Anway I wanted to know if I can use an image from my current hard drive to put on my new SSD or do I have to do a new install of Windows?
a c 277 G Storage
November 30, 2011 4:01:19 PM

It's best to do a new install of Windows.

Most importantly, are your disk controller ports set to the default IDE-compatibility mode or AHCI mode? With an SSD, you should be using AHCI mode.
A little less important is the number of things that are set differently when you install on an SSD. For example, you do NOT want defragmentation to occur. Excellent articles are available on this site, but I'm getting too lazy to look up the links every time somebody asks.

If you want to copy the existing system to the SSD, get EASEUS ToDo backup, which has a neat option to restore to dissimilar hardware. Tick the Optimize for SSD option.

I have no opinion on SSD models. Have fun!
Related resources
November 30, 2011 5:59:06 PM

I actually just did this yesterday. I used Acronis (the WD edition which is free if you have a WD HDD) to clone my HDD to my SSD. It was really easy. You just follow a few steps and saves all the time of reinstalling drivers, games, software etc. It worked flawlessly for me. Basically my system is the same just blazingly faster :) 
November 30, 2011 6:03:37 PM

courtneyg said:
I'm getting an SSD tomorrow. It's an Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G1GC, are they a decent drive?

Anway I wanted to know if I can use an image from my current hard drive to put on my new SSD or do I have to do a new install of Windows?

As previously stated, i would probably suggest doing a new install as well because you never know what might be corrupted or may have something on it that may cause issues later down the road but if you must use image it from one drive to another theres a Software Program called "Acronis True image" that we use at my work that works very well. So if that HDD fails all we have to do is put in the new one and start up and its up and running with no hassel of installing the OS. Something lik that should be done with new drives with a fresh install though. My opinion though.
!