jpm-abraham

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
So I attempted to overclock my cpu about 4 or 5 days ago and all seemed to be going well until today. I was in BF3 and noticed
that the game started to lock up for like a half a sec several times as I was running about in the game. My first thought was that
maybe it was a bad server, so I switched to another server and tried it out, same thing. So then I thought maybe it was my
overclock, so I restarted my system and reverted everything back to normal, so I thought. When I reset everything and hopped
back onto BF3, it was still doing it.

I'm not sure what to do, or if anything got messed up with my system. One thing that I did notice was that my memory clocks seemed a little off, but maybe that's just me.. i'm not too familiar with overclock at all, and what settings should look like what.

Here is my system specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 (Cooler: Corsair H70 Liquid Cooler )
RAM: G-Skill 16.0 GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231534)
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair Formula V
GPU: 2x Radeon HD 6970 (Crossfire)
HD: 120 GB Kingston SSD & 1TB Western Digital HD
PSU: Thermaltake 80 GOLD Plus 1200 WT

Here are the settings I used to overclock.
Following this guide since it was the same processor and pretty much the same cooler I was using.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVN6zvdQkaQ

Settings:
CPU Ratio: 20.0
AMD Tubo Core: Disabled
Mem Freq: DDR3-1600MHz
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.5
CPU/NB Manual Voltage: 1.3
DRAM Voltage: 1.5

HT Bus: 210 <- ( Could not find in my BIOS, so I never modified it)
Multiplier: 21 <- ( Could not find in my BIOS, so I never modified it)
Loadline Calibration: Extreme <- ( I assumed this was the CPU loadline calibration, so that's what I modified, not the memory one.

After doing the overclock, everything was going good, cpu was at 4.0 GHz from the stock 3.3 ( 3.6 with the Turbo enabled I think ). The only thing I noticed was my memory clocks changed a little.

Here is my CPU Info:
cpun.png

Memory Info:
memfreq1.png

memfreq2.png

jpm-abraham

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Yea, I think your right, a few months ago I had a power outage and I think my video card (only 1 at the time) took a hit. When the power came back on and my system was booting up, there were kind of green pixelated diagonal lines going across my screen for a a split second. Also when watching video or playing games, moving the camera horizontally sometimes it would be kind of choppy and pixelated like when my computer booted up after the power outage.

Another thing to, my mouse randomly locks up in a position sometimes. I thought maybe it was the surface I was on, or a problem with my OS at the time, but then I built this system and it was still doing it. Like sometimes i'll be moving my mouse around like normal, and it will just lock on the vertical or horizontal axis, until I like rub the laser eye on the bottom of the mouse to correct it, or if I just shake the mouse pointer around a bit. I know it's not the mouse, cause I tested several different mouse's and it did the same thing, so maybe it has something to do with my video card, and how it's showing the mouse pointer or something.

Also, if my oldest of the 2 GPU's is bad, would it affect my newest GPU when in crossfire mode ? Like, could it make my new card go bad ?

jpm-abraham

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Well I just found something out, it seems that BF3 is having issues with Punkbuster or something, and it's causing severe lag issues and performance problems for PC users. I made the mistake of not testing out any other games when this problem started to happen... so i'm doing that now.

jpm-abraham

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Another thing to, I'm pretty new to crossfire, and just built this system like 7-8 months ago, does it matter which position I put my Crossfire bridge on?

For example:

Card #1 [[Bracket 1][Bracket 2]===========8888=888]
Card #2 [[Bracket 1][Bracket 2]===========8888=888]

I had the bridge on Bracket 1 on both cards, then awhile back I remember seeing a picture of a crossfire setup with it on Bracket 2 of both cards. So when messing with my cards to test this problem I thought was my hardware, I put the bridge on Bracket 2 of both cards to see what would happen. Everything seems to be working fine, maybe even better, cause I can control both of my GPU fans in my Catalyst Control center now, and there is no like graphical tearing when moving my windows around on the screen. It might be because of the new 12.4 Driver update I just did... dunno