Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer shuts down after 30 seconds

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2009 3:39:10 PM

Replaced mobo with Asus P5N-D after P5K failed recently. Computer starts normally, then shuts off after about 30 secs. This occurs whether it is starting to boot Wi 7 64bit, or I enter the BIOS. The POST works normally, with a single short beep. All fans and LEDs work until the unit shuts down.
I have an Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 CPU, 4 GB DDR2 ram, two 500GB WD sata hard drives, and a AMD video card PCIE -16x. The case is an Antec Sonata III, and all switches work properly.

More about : computer shuts seconds

Best solution

December 21, 2009 4:49:24 PM

I would try reseating the cpu heatsink, sounds like thermal shutdown occurs(due to overheating).
December 21, 2009 5:08:01 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I will try your suggestion, but would be surprised if enough heat could build up within 30 seconds to shut it down.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2009 5:32:21 PM

What PSU do you have?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2009 5:57:34 PM

Wait ... did you replace the motherboard without reinstalling Windows? If so, the old drivers from the old motherboard are probably there causing all kinds of problems, including system crashes. So I'd see if you can get it to boot from a Windows DVD, and if so, format the drive and do a reinstall.

If you did reinstall your OS when you switched the motherboard, feel free to ignore this message because the problem is something else.
m
l
December 21, 2009 7:10:57 PM

Of course! Lol, if you didnt reinstall your OS than you should probably ignore my post and do that first.

As for the heat, the cpu without heatsink(and thermal protection) would go up in smoke in seconds, so if the heatsink isnt touching properly it will take slightly longer depending on contact between cpu and heatsink.
m
l
December 22, 2009 4:10:06 PM

MaDMagik said:
Of course! Lol, if you didnt reinstall your OS than you should probably ignore my post and do that first.

As for the heat, the cpu without heatsink(and thermal protection) would go up in smoke in seconds, so if the heatsink isnt touching properly it will take slightly longer depending on contact between cpu and heatsink.

No, I did not re-install the OS (yet), but I did re-install the heat sink with new thermal paste, and, low and behold, the machine kept running!!

Many thanks!.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2009 6:53:59 PM

athebaut said:
No, I did not re-install the OS (yet), but I did re-install the heat sink with new thermal paste, and, low and behold, the machine kept running!!

Many thanks!.

-----------------

Do it now, and the problem must be solve.
m
l
December 22, 2009 8:08:36 PM

No problem, Im glad it worked.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2010 10:08:36 PM

Saints preserve us. (That's an old saying I got from an old movie. Made me laugh.) I just replaced a poser supply in a friends PC. In the course of trouble shooting the initial problem, I removed the heat sink and reseated the processor. I apparently didn't tighten the heat sink down enough and had the "30 second boot" issue. After reading this I went back and gave each of the heat sink screws an extra twist, and the problem was resolved. Ain't the internet a wonderful thing.
m
l
March 11, 2010 8:06:23 PM

Can be, sometimes ;]
m
l
!