Your question

Computer Crashes when playing games

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Games
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 13, 2011 12:07:22 AM

Hi. I have a problem which is that when I play games the screen goes black and then it plays the audio that was playing at that moment quickly and repeatedly for 2 or 3 seconds and then the computer will restart. After the computer restarts it won't work so I have to manually turn off the computer and then turn it back on. This happens on the majority of games that I play.
I am running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, 8 gb of ram, gt220 graphics card, and an Intel Core 2 quad cpu Q8400 @ 2.66GHz. Thank you for the help! :D 

More about : computer crashes playing games

October 13, 2011 12:33:58 AM

Are you keeping an eye on your temps?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2011 12:47:34 AM

Power supply ? Latest drivers ? Any changes recently and have you ever been able to play games with the components that you crrently have ?
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2011 6:17:17 AM

@erick81 I just downloaded Speedfan and according to it my GPU temp goes from about 65 idle to about 95 in around 5 minutes. I don't think this is good, any suggestions?
@inzone My power supply is 300 watts I'm pretty sure and I'm pretty sure that I have the latest drivers. I have been able to play my games with my current setup since I got it, it just recently and randomly started crashing.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2011 7:06:42 AM

pull the heat sink and fan. reapply thermal paste and re-seat the heat sink and fan, this time making sure it goes on right and the pins are seated properly through the mother board.......... best way to install is with the mobo out of the machine.
m
l
October 13, 2011 8:02:12 AM

I don't think a 300W PSU is sufficient for your setup.
m
l
October 15, 2011 12:44:27 AM

I believe the problem is my GPU overheating. Everything is sub-50 when playing games but my GPU is at about 100C. It might be that it has recently gotten hot here at about 80F avg for the last few days. Any advice on dealing with GPU overheating?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 12:53:54 AM

raulito28 said:
I believe the problem is my GPU overheating. Everything is sub-50 when playing games but my GPU is at about 100C. It might be that it has recently gotten hot here at about 80F avg for the last few days. Any advice on dealing with GPU overheating?

"pull the heat sink and fan. reapply thermal paste and re-seat the heat sink and fan, this time making sure it goes on right and the pins are seated properly through the mother board.......... best way to install is with the mobo out of the machine."
swifty_morgan
^

Go with that, if your temps are out of whack, but did u tried GPU-Z?

Its allways best to get second opinion http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

My two cents.
m
l
October 23, 2011 2:05:19 AM

Thank you all for your help, I've solved the problem. The problem was that there was a buildup of dust inside of my gpu's fan and this was causing it to overheat. Thank you all again!
m
l
March 27, 2012 11:23:32 AM

raulito28 said:
Thank you all for your help, I've solved the problem. The problem was that there was a buildup of dust inside of my gpu's fan and this was causing it to overheat. Thank you all again!

Hi Raulito28 , Even I have the same problem what you have faced. I dont have a graphics card installed in my PC. In my case why is my system behaving so? Kindly advise.
m
l