FAKE 512MB 8500GT card ???

yasitha2

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I Have something interesting. I bought my previous 8500GT card from ebay. I think the seller did something to show that the card has a 512MB memory. It shows 512MB during VGA boot. But it actually has a 128MB dedicated memory and turbo cache technology.

Am I correct and can someone make such fake cards.

yasitha2

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I double checked my card has 128MB dedicated memory. But in windows XP it shows 512MB vga memory. In vista it doesnt. Vista shows 128MB. Seller sold it as a 512 card. but there is no 512MB at all.

yasitha2

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Ok
GPU-Z shows me a 8500GT card with a 128MB video memory.
But the seller sold me claiming that it has 512MB memory.
In addition to that during the bios start up i mean before I see the INTEL screen there is a text massage by the VGA bios. It displays
8500GT,
512MB VGA RAM ,
Bios version XXXXXX

Yes, the "turbo cache" cards do not physically have the full amount of memory on them. They share system memory to achieve the full 512 meg. These cards were made for OEM systems. Did the card come in a retail box with all the bells and whistles, or did it come like an OEM card, plain box simply wrapped in an anti-static bag? It likely came out of an HP Media Center PC. They are the standard cards in those systems, and a lot of people replace them with something better because, well, quite frankly they are not very fast cards.

Yeah, this really doesn't matter all that much. The 8500GT is a weak card and not meant for gaming. 128mb onboard is fine for 2D applications and if it ever needs more there is the turbocache. Don't worry about it.
If you were planning on gaming you bought the wrong card anyway.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
There are really three possibilities here.

1. The person who sold you this card didn't know anything and just wrote what he saw.
2. The person had some knowledge and wrote what matters, it has 512 mb's when it matters (still a worthless card).
3. He tried to fool you with the 512 mb's, which is still no indication of how good the card really is.

For graphic cards, look at the list best buy guide on this site every month. That's a good place to start, to see what is what and what isn't.