Hard Drive Problem! Please Help!

grizly32

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hi,
I have been having a problem with my computer and was wondering if anyone had any advice. My computer's hard drive will give off one loud click every 5-10 minutes or so. Every so often when I use a 3d program like Maya or 3dsMax the computer will suddenly freeze (no click at time of freeze) for about 2 minutes, then the hard drive will click, and everything will work again. I ran Seagate's SeaTools on it and that reported everything was ok. I am a 3d artist so I do a lot of work in Maya so this has become a real problem. I have backed up my drive, but am not convinced that it is the cause of the problem. Any advice?
Thanks!

Below is a link to the specs for my computer (it was a DIY combo buy from NewEgg)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.755648&cm_sp=DIY_PC_Combos-_-755648-_-Combo

ijaz1976

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
if your hard drive is new then sometimes it is power issue. i mean when hard drive needs more voltage but it cannot get it from power supply and usually happens when hard drive and optical drive is sharing same power cable. you should check that if optical drive and hard drive is on same power cable with splitted connectors or on separate power cables. if your hard drive and optical drive are sharing same power cable then change them to seperate power cables (i mean cables not connectors). some times if your hard drive's power connector is loose then it can too create a problem like this so tight the power cable connector. hope this will resolve the issue.