Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What brand of video card to look at

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2009 12:16:52 AM

I've been looking over guides here and elsewhere on video cards. I know what type of cards and price range I'm looking at, I just don't know what brand to get.

The guide on here says it doesn't really matter aside for looking at warranty and the like, but I've never heard of some of the brands out there.

Which should I be looking at that are more reliable?

Should I avoid brands like Sparkle and Palit and stick with EVGA and XFX?

What about ASUS and Gigabyte video cards?

More about : brand video card

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 12:29:25 AM

I suggest to just look at the price + performance deal and see if it would be worth your penny.

Basically, they're all using the same chip inside. The difference only would be the way they present the product with custom clock/shader/mem config, cooling solution, warranty, packaging, aesthetics, etc.

The best way to see which one is the best for your needs is to check out reviews.
December 21, 2009 12:48:10 AM

That's sort of the issue, some of the lesser known brands have no reviews or next to no reviews on them.

I keep reading that the 5750 cards from ATI have driver issues with Windows 7 - 64 bit, is that resolved or should I avoid them?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 12:58:12 AM

It is safer to assume that if a certain product have no reviews doesn't necessarily mean that it's no good.

What specific driver issues are you pertaining to?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 1:12:14 AM

over 90% of cards use the reference design of the circuit board which means the only real difference between brands is the fan/heatsink, warranty/customer service and, most importantly imo, price.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 2:06:49 AM

One difference is that some brands sort their cards for overclocking and offer more overclockable cards for more money. It's better to go with a brand that doesn't do this if you want a baseline card because you might get one that overclocks well.

If you buy a baseline card from a company that sorts it will most likely not overclock well otherwise they would have sold it at a premium.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 2:31:56 AM

I kinda doubt they even do that. Most factory OCs are well below the speeds the average card can reach so they probably just OC random cards and maybe toss back the ones that can't take it but I'll bet that's rare. I could be wrong though.
m
l
December 21, 2009 2:54:48 AM

masterjaw said:
It is safer to assume that if a certain product have no reviews doesn't necessarily mean that it's no good.

What specific driver issue are you pertaining to?

They were somewhat vague in the reviews, but it came up several times.

It was talking about Windows 7 64-bit editions and driver issues with ATI HD5750 cards. People were getting game crashes, some people would get BSOD and so forth.

Stuff like: "Driver support and updates are questionable. I am still on occasion getting a system that crashes to a solid or stripped screen and tech support has not come up with a valid resolution."
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 3:53:11 AM

templetonpeck said:

Stuff like: "Driver support and updates are questionable. I am still on occasion getting a system that crashes to a solid or stripped screen and tech support has not come up with a valid resolution."

You are often better off using drivers from ATI or Nvidia than software from the card companies anyhow.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 21, 2009 4:02:18 AM

As a non OCer, the most important thing for me is having a card that regulates it's fan and is quiet.

My current 5870 is extremely quiet and I can't even tell when it's under load, but the 9800GT I replaced it with was extremely noisy under load, as the fan went from very low to 100% with no inbetween fan settings.

Quote:
It was talking about Windows 7 64-bit editions and driver issues with ATI HD5750 cards. People were getting game crashes, some people would get BSOD and so forth.

I had similar issues when I first installed my Diamond 5870, although the drivers that came with the card never worked, I used the ones on AMD's site.

The issue went away once I OC'ed the card. Apparently if you OC it, whenever the card isn't using 3D graphics, the memory clocks drop much lower. I'm guessing that allowed the memory to stay a bit cooler and it never did that crash again.
m
l
!