New System Won't Start

dwang105

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Hey all, I was wondering if you guys could help me with a new system build.

Here's my build:
Intel Core i7 920
Asus Rampage ii Extreme
6 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 (PC12800) Ram
Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU Cooler
Kingwin 1000 Watt Power Supply
Sapphire Radeon 5870 Gfx Card

I built the computer about 1.5 weeks ago, and everything went fine. I was even able to OC it to 3.8ghz, and it survived Prime95 Stress tests for at least 10 hrs with temps being maintained at or below 65 deg C.

Then two days ago, the computer just shut itself down, and I have not been able to restart the system. There are lights on the Mobo (lights that stay on even when comp is off), but when I press the power button, nothing happens - no fans, no post, nothing. I have check all the connections (especially the chassis power ones), but I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Can I assume that because the mobo still has lights, that the Power Supply is OK? Do you guys have any suggestions as to what might be the culprit?

I'd really appreciate any insight - thanks in advance!!

TheViper

Distinguished
1. Unplug the PSU.
2. Locate and remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard.
3. Clear your CMOS (button or jumper)
4. Discharge capacitors (hold power button for 45 seconds)
5. Wait 24 hours.
6. Reinstall CMOS battery (removing jumpers if used before).
7. Plug PSU back in and power up.

Sounds like your PSU has died. The fact that the PSU can light up a light on the motherboard certainly doesn't mean it can power a system. I don't suppose you have a space PSU you could try?

There's a reason why people in these forums suggest sticking with known good PSU manufacturer's like Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, etc... Kingwin is not on the list of suggested PSU's.

dwang105

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Thanks for both replies!

I tried resetting the CMOS like you suggested, but that did not resolve the problem.

I then tried testing the PSU manually with a multi-meter, and it seems the PSU is what is causing the problem.

Thanks again for the help - at least now I know where the issue is. I had thought the Kingwin 1000W PSU was good - got some good reviews from newegg, but I will stick with the known good PSU manufacturers.