Sign in with
Your question

Need help OCing Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition

Last response: in Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2012 4:14:09 AM

Hi guys, looking to get a little more out of my new HD 7850. It idles at about 35-40 degrees, and goes up to about 55 while playing games, which I think will give me a bit of headroom to Overclock (I do not want to get past 70 degrees).

I want to overclock it, but stay on the same voltage (I heard changing voltage can screw it up, while changing everything else will just reset itself if it crashes). So how can I test overclocking? I play BF3 with everything cranked up to max on a 1920x1080 resolution, and I get around 35 fps. Its perfectly playable for me, but friends question how I play on anything lower than 60 frames, so I'd like to get to around 40-45 fps. So in a sentence, I'd like to OC my Sapphire HD 7850 OCed edition without changing the voltage, and I do not know what programs to use, or how to test if it is stable.

Many thanks, thankyou for reading

JJ1217
June 27, 2012 2:00:21 PM

JJ1217 said:
Hi guys, looking to get a little more out of my new HD 7850. It idles at about 35-40 degrees, and goes up to about 55 while playing games, which I think will give me a bit of headroom to Overclock (I do not want to get past 70 degrees).

I want to overclock it, but stay on the same voltage (I heard changing voltage can screw it up, while changing everything else will just reset itself if it crashes). So how can I test overclocking? I play BF3 with everything cranked up to max on a 1920x1080 resolution, and I get around 35 fps. Its perfectly playable for me, but friends question how I play on anything lower than 60 frames, so I'd like to get to around 40-45 fps. So in a sentence, I'd like to OC my Sapphire HD 7850 OCed edition without changing the voltage, and I do not know what programs to use, or how to test if it is stable.

Many thanks, thankyou for reading

JJ1217

Okay First you are going to need sapphire trixx for changing clocks and then asus gpu tweak for changing voltages if you change your mind about that.

Then i reccomand the clocks of 1150 core and 1250 memory .

Then play a game and see if it's playable .

If it is crank up the memory to like 1300 memory

But if you want to go further you probaly will need to increase the volatge .

So yeah im not confirming you will get these clocks but mostly everyone with the ssame card have gotten those clocks no problemo .

After ocing you will get like 42fps avg on bf3 everything maxx and even higher if you play close quarters.
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:17:22 PM

andY biersack said:
Okay First you are going to need sapphire trixx for changing clocks and then asus gpu tweak for changing voltages if you change your mind about that.

Then i reccomand the clocks of 1150 core and 1250 memory .

Then play a game and see if it's playable .

If it is crank up the memory to like 1300 memory

But if you want to go further you probaly will need to increase the volatge .

So yeah im not confirming you will get these clocks but mostly everyone with the ssame card have gotten those clocks no problemo .

After ocing you will get like 42fps avg on bf3 everything maxx and even higher if you play close quarters.

Yeah... That's not how you overclock. What you're suggesting is basically cranking up core clock by 250-300 MHz.

I advise you to use MSI Afterburner (don't worry, it works for all cards, not just MSI) and increase core clock to about 1000 MHz, it should be stable on stock voltage. If it is, try 1050 MHz and test it further. If you can play BF3 for an hour without crashing, it's most likely stable.

MSI Afterburner won't go over 1050 MHz without some tweaking. Coincidentally, my HD 7850 is stable on 1050 MHz and unstable on 1060 MHz.

To go past 1050 MHz you need .dll files from 12.1 drivers or earlier and you have to edit MSI Afterburner's .cfg files to enable unofficial overclocking.

Once you establish stable core clock, start increasing memory clock. Depending on your card you should be able to achieve at least 1250 MHz and maybe even as high as 1400+ MHz.

You can set power limit between -20% and +20%, I'm not sure how much that helps, but I keep mine on +20% because my PSU has plenty of power to spare for HD 7850.

Note: Sapphire TriXX and Asus GPU Tweak may or may not allow you to edit voltage or go past 1050 MHz. I personally had no luck with them.
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2012 2:26:48 PM

sublime2k said:
Yeah... That's not how you overclock. What you're suggesting is basically cranking up core clock by 250-300 MHz.

I advise you to use MSI Afterburner (don't worry, it works for all cards, not just MSI) and increase core clock to about 1000 MHz, it should be stable on stock voltage. If it is, try 1050 MHz and test it further. If you can play BF3 for an hour without crashing, it's most likely stable.

MSI Afterburner won't go over 1050 MHz without some tweaking. Coincidentally, my HD 7850 is stable on 1050 MHz and unstable on 1060 MHz.

To go past 1050 MHz you need .dll files from 12.1 drivers or earlier and you have to edit MSI Afterburner's .cfg files to enable unofficial overclocking.

Once you establish stable core clock, start increasing memory clock. Depending on your card you should be able to achieve at least 1250 MHz and maybe even as high as 1400+ MHz.

You can set power limit between -20% and +20%, I'm not sure how much that helps, but I keep mine on +20% because my PSU has plenty of power to spare for HD 7850.

Note: Sapphire TriXX and Asus GPU Tweak may or may not allow you to edit voltage or go past 1050 MHz. I personally had no luck with them.

Yeah do what this guy says if you want to take the more safe route. But im using 12.4 driver and im on 1150 and 1300 mem. All you need is sapphire trixx to get past the limit . If you want to use the other programs jjust open trixx and set the clocks and on the other programs the clocks will appear the same as the sapphire one . So that's one very lazy way of getting past the limits.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2012 12:35:54 PM

card memory is already at a stock 1250 mhz. Thanks for your help, managed to get it to 1150core and 1300 mhz memory. Got a couple extra fps in bf3, so im happy.
m
l
!