Command prompt will not open or run

werewolfhk

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
there is a smart filter on my internet access, and I tried to open command prompt from start/accessories/command prompt in order to ping, but it said I could not open it unless I recieved permission from the admin, which I am not. I tried using notepad:command.com and save as a .bat, but it would only open for a split second then close. Help?

Only the admin can help you !

Whilst not wishing to contradict ksiemb's comments, sometimes the system can throw thta message at an Administrative User Account as well. Go into c:\windows\system32 and navigate to cmd.exe, right click it and go to RunAs Administrator. If that doesn't work, as ksiemb says you need to find the admin who created the policy but if it does work, it was only a system glitch and not a genuine Local Policy.

Such policies are usually put in to protect the system from some types of Internet use so they aren't to be undone without good reason. Ask yourself first - do you have one? If there are children using that computer, do you risk letting them go to inappropriate sites?