ATI XFX 4650 AGP baffling install

Grizzer

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I have an older mainstream HP a420n XP 2GB pc that is ultra reliable. Runs a 6200 256mb PNY card 8X AGP. ASUS Kamet2 mobo VIA KM400 chipset, VIA/S3G Unichrome rev 1 IGP, Upgraded from a 22" Thinkvision CRT to a 28" LCD.

Installed the ATI with the downloaded hotfix files & board worked great that day, video playback is much more detailed, brighter & smoother. PC wizard video score jumped from 127 to over 800!

Next day powered on & nothing, system hangs. Replaced PS with a new Thermaltake 430W and still nothing. +12v bus was and is running 11.31v.

Exchanged the card & second one same ##** thing. Put this second ATI card in a older Intel 4x agp 845 mobo & it lights up and works fine into a IBM P275!! Put the 28" LCD on it & also works fine.

XFX tech support had me download the guru3d driver scrubber. I scrubbed both the NVidia and ATI drivers 4x. Still nothing, system still hangs trying to boot, no video on the IGP either as the mobo has disconnected it when ATI is in the slot

The MOBO senses either the IGP or the 6200 everytime. I reinstalled the HP Unichrome video drivers as well ver 6.14.10.194. No difference.

What else is there to try with a mainstream ASUS mobo and mainstream 4650 XFX card that doesn't seem to wake up??

The problem is, some of the boards with VIA chipsets cut a few corners with with the AGP slot, which is why some of them do not support high powered AGP cards. Even the ones that do often need a BIOS update to do so. Trying to run a card without that BIOS update will damage the board.

Grizzer

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
The only bios update is for a new HP logo... This is a very simple bios 3.05 agp/onboard or pci select.

The ATI first worked 8 hrs in the HP, no temp anomalies. AGP 3.0 is 4x or 8x. 1x is the higher 3.3v incompatible standard...

The ATI card is not damaged as it works fine in another system. The ASUS mobo is fine as it runs the 6200 NVIDIA fine as always.

wood_09

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
you should better change the rams. I think that may be the problem or it may be because power (watts) needed to the computer is in sufficient since the graphics card manual says that it needs about 450watts of power for the graphics card. So i think that the power needed to the system is not enough. So just try installing a 550watt power supply . ;)

It is good practice to check the dates before giving advice!

wood_09

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
i have checked for the updates, more importantly the same thing occurred to my PC. I too installed ATI XFX 4650 graphics and in the end i just changed my power supply to 550watt one and it was fixed :ange:

Dates meaning that you are giving advice on a 3 month old problem.